.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

My daughter met...

...George Clooney yesterday. She called me while I was out eating dinner to tell me. I used to live in California so I know that you will occasionally run into famous people.

But my daughter works on the managerial staff of the The Bevery Hilton so she meets a bunch of them. Unfortunately, she doesn't know who half of them are, like Art Linkletter...but she does meet them.

She meets them walking through the hotel...I had to get all Lucy Ricardo with famous people to meet them. I don't count Springsteen, the Stones, the Who or any people that I saw on stage, anyone can see them. Just counting people that I really met, I can start with Bob Hope. Not a bad place to start...'ey?

He was at Parent's Weekend at Western Illinois University back in the 70's. My boyfriend and I, and another couple were stalking the top floor of the University Union to find him. The other chick knew what room he was in and I was the one with the balls to knock. He couldn't have been sweeter. His manager answered the door and told Mr. Hope that there were some college kids at the door and he said, "Let them in!"

We went in and chatted for a while with one of the most famous people of the last century. He wasn't any taller than my hip, but he was a sweetie.

I was walking down Hollywood Boulevard and ran into Ron Palillo (Horschak from Welcome Back Kotter). Actually, I was walking backwards when I thought I saw him and as soon as we made eye contact, I walked backwards into a telephone pole, hitting my head and looking foolish in front of Horschak. Do you know how hard it is to look foolish in front of such a fool?

Then, I was in line at a walk up bank outside of San Francisco and I met Mr. Brady. My neighbor introduced me to her ex (whom I had never heard of and was not impressed by!) Harrison Ford. That night I also met Sally Field and Fonzie. I saw Shaft walking down the street in L.A., James Coeburn at a gas station and Ivander Holyfield at an airport. I introduced myself to all of them. Oh...I met Charleton Heston at a political rally. And at my cousin's condo, I met Farrah Faucett who was there visiting Dick Van Patten's wife. So, I met the Van Patten's and Farrah. She also held my son while we were in the pool at the complex one weekend. Can you imagine being able to tell people that you were swimming with Farrah Faucett? Well, my son can do that!

Working in movies, I've worked with a bunch of people but I don't know who a lot of them are. You see them all the time, but you don't know who they are, just that they're famous. Working on movies, I've met William Sanderson (Here's my other brother Darryl..."), The Sex in the City red head, Kathy Bates, one of the guys from Oh Brother something something (not the Clooney guy) and that Shakespearan actor who played FDR in Warm Springs. I've forgotten most of their names...it's that over 40 thing.

Dating a disc jockey, I met a bunch of late 80's bands like The Bodines and The Violent Femmes. We got to go backstage and party with them. (That was during one of the times Rick dumped me.)

Dating a Chicago Bear, I met a bunch of Bears and Packers.

Hanging out at Wrigley Field on the Cubs off days when I was a kid, I met a bunch of Cubs and one day I even met a bunch of Phillies like Tug McGraw, Larry Bowa and Ollie Brown.

Doing stand up, I've met Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Robert Townsend and Eddie Izzard.

Doing freelance writing I've met Neal Bortz and Cynthia Tucker, not to mention countless reporters.

I've also met a bunch of politicians doing political work, as an adult and as a kid, for my parents. They were very politically active. I remember stuffing envelopes for Barry Goldwater for my father. I also remember during one of the elections in which my father ran for Congress, we met Ronald Reagan. It was the 76 presidential election and Reagan lost to Ford who eventually lost to Carter.

I've forgotten more of them than I can remember. And, a bunch that I do remember, I can't remember their names. And then there's some who's name I never knew, I just knew that they were "someone". Oh, Phil Donahue! The day I embarrassed my second ex! How could I forget him! Oh, and the big bald guy from Jerry Springer! I could go on and on.

But, I need some coffee. I woke up in the middle of the night and made apple cinnamon pancakes so I can't eat breakfast, other than some fruit. I'm going to eat some fruit and suck some coffee and I'll be back later!

Meg

4 Comments:

Blogger Determined said...

Hey Meg - thanks a lot for defending me back at my place.

A good attorney, Jeanine Pirro is on the front page of the city's tabloids. All she wanted to do was catch her cheating husband, and now her damn career might be ruined! This makes me so upset - no matter how you look at things, women who are cheated upon will contineu to be fucked one way or another. (copy and paste link)

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/456474p-384093c.html

September 28, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

No problem, what I said was true, that is one pathetic freak you've got there!

Anyway, I read the story and it is a shame that this woman's career should even be affected by this bullshit. If a woman can get off of a murder rwap (or a de-pricking rap) because of a sudden emotional trauma like being cheated upon, this one should be able to garner a bit of forgiveness in this case. I feel for her...what a shame. Are they still together, do you know?

Meg

September 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you should remember the famous folks you meet. It's very cool. I had been to L.A. two or three times and hadn't seen anyone famous. I was frustrated! So the last time I visited, I was sitting in my hotel room watching a morning talk show when they said that Gregory Peck's funeral was taking place later that morning. I hopped onto the freeway and was at the cathedral in a flash. God, did I see celebrities! It was like People magazine come to life. Harrison Ford. Calista Flockhart. Harry Belafonte. Shari Belafonte. Laurie Piper. Brock Peters. On and on. I feel I've now seen enough celebrities to last me a lifetime.

September 28, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Rhea,

You truly hit the star jack pot there!

Solaris, I couldn't post that comment because the link was too long. can you email me and tell me how you do that thing where you write a word that, when someone clicks on it, the word acts as the link to another site? I want to do that:

1. with the site you sent

2. with other stuff!


Thanks,

Meg

September 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home