.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I felt in a good, playful mood...

...coming on so I sat down at my computer to write something playful and light. I had a hard time coming up with something (and by the way, no, I haven't remembered the other thing I wanted to tell you...but I will!) so I just started surfing the web. One thing led to another and then...all of a sudden I found myself staring at this:

CAN We Handle the Truth?

When Americans find themselves in the midst of a problem, they have a tendency to form committees, commissions and seminars, bringing together the greatest minds on the crisis du jour. We see PSA's on television telling us how we need to TALK about this or SACRIFICE for that. All the "talking heads" say the same thing..."We need to learn more about the current danger and we need to stop hiding our heads in the sand!" Celebrities crawl out of the woodwork and the upper class opens up their checkbooks. But, if the "problem" is racism, WE don't allow anyone to help.

Whites aren't allowed to do the same things that they do when they see unjustices anywhere else.They're allowed to admit that there IS a problem, but they aren't allowed to discuss the problem. Some of the first few white people who made our rules were insightful enough to realize that a free exchange of ideas is not only a good idea, it is absolutely mandatory when solving problems, growing as a people and progressing higher on our path to a much higher level of humanity and civilty.

I, for one, refuse to lump all white people into one category. My parents raised me the same way all intelligent parents, white AND black, raised their children, telling us, as small children, that "God made us all equal in his eyes and He wants us to live together as His children in peace."

The times they were a'changin' and we all knew it. The younger generation that was taking over was going to put a healthy dent into racism, but not by violence.They were going to breed it out.

Who amongst us would deny that we have watched a white person go out of their way to be nice, almost in an attempt to make up for the sins of their ancestors? These white people don't understand slavery anymore than African Americans do. Neither group can fathom how another group of humans can OWN another group. But, if it weren't for a LOT of white people standing up for the slaves, The Emancipation Proclamation would have been written much later than it had been.

History teaches us that all ethnic groups have had their owns trouble while attempting to assimilate themselves into another culture, no matter how they ended up there. Today there are a few different groups in America having trouble "fitting in." So, maybe it's tougher on one than it is on another, but it isn't a race.

When an open dialougue is the answer to so many problems, why isn't it the answer to this problem? If someone mentions that imprisonment rate of black men raised by single mothers, they're being racist. If they want to offer a different solution to a very old problem, they must be a bigot. Especailly if they say anything negative about any one of the groups that already exist for the enrichment of the African American community. These groups that preach love between the races would be out of business if we ever said, "Aw, go on home Jesse, those white folk aren't so bad." If there were no leaders, who would lead the fight? It MIGHT just get boring and stop! Who knows, have you ever tried it?

What cause could Jesse raise money for then? Oh well, that's not my problem. I just think that too many of us are comfotable with the status quo. We don't want to discuss any potential problems, we might be a bit uncomfortable. Also, some one might have to change. And then they might have to realize that skin color only slows you down, it doesn't stop you. To say otherwise takes away from the many people of color who have helped saved lives, enriched our culture with art and added another group to the melting pot we call America. The donations that African Americans have made to our country are as rich as any other culture. To blame color for stopping people of color is an affront to those who have made these contributions in spite of color.

Well, That's was different. I never meant for it to be so long...sorry about that. OK, I have to go to bed now.

See you in the morning!

Meg

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much for playful and light!

October 12, 2006  
Blogger coconut commando said...

The fundamental problem with Americans as a whole is that we've taken the "cowboy" attitude out of how we think, speak and act.

I am a huge proponent of being proud of my Hispanic heritage but guess what, when I am asked, I am an American. Notice no nationality before it. My parents emigrated from Puerto Rico before it became a commonwealth of the U.S. I was always taught that what you get out of something is truly relevant as to what you put into it.

I enlisted in the military purely for the college money but found myself making a career out of it. I have been deployed to all seven continents and 73 countries in my 21 year career in the Army and I can tell you from experience, "African Americans" and other "Nationality Americans" truly have no clue about where they come from or what is currently going on in their motherlands. Therefore, instead of educating themselves about their race, heritage, and history or going to visit to see it in person, it is much easier to listen to an overpaid windbag spew about the "racism" he has suffered so you can send him money.

My point is, the "cowboy" attitude that our forefathers had would tell them to shut their pie hole, get to work and make something of yourself! Yes, the government programs are out there to assist in accomplishing the illusive American Dream but it has been turned into a situation where the government owes me everything because the only effort I'll ever put out is to collect a paycheck because I think that whitey's ancestors owned a slave at some point in history.

I am living proof that the programs work because I took advantage of the education and assistance provided through different agencies. I can speak five different languages, and speak 10 different dialects of Spanish. I hold a bachelor’s in applied kinesiology and a double masters in acupuncture and diplomatic relations. Yes, I have been exposed to racism on different levels, both from civilians and military alike. But I have never allowed myself to be a “victim” because of someone else’s ignorance.

Thank you for allowing me on my soapbox about this. I hope this note finds you well and I am a big fan of your site.

October 12, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

well, the point was I was trying to make you think that a black person wrote it. I was really, really tired. Then, I fell asleep for 12 hours. Now, it isn't as good of an idea as when I first thought of it. So, you try things and then you move on.

Meg

October 12, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Coco,

I LOVED your comment. If I weren't so Iraish, I could have said the same thing. You are right and I wish there were more like you out there.

Thanks.

Meg

October 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home