.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Meg...

"In need of urgent advice! Radio Dial woman is about to meet the parental units and she is scared out of her mind. Any suggestions on how she should tackle the situation?"

Yep. This one is an easy one. Tell her to act like your parents were normal people that she could meet any day of the week. If you fell in love with her, she must be a wonderful person and I imagine you've told her that. So, my answer is that she should listen to you and trust that your parents are not cyclops or storm troopers.

Usually if you just act like yourself and are at ease around new people, they will pick up on that and feel the same way. If she tries to act like something she isn't or if she tries too hard, it won't look good. So, her only option is to be herself and not worry about it. Not only is it her only option, it's the best way to win the folks over.

I meet new people all the time and they always seem to like me. All I do is act like myself. I ask questions out of curiosity, especially the kind of questions that people love to respond to. Things like, "What was your grandmother like?" are great because almost everyone has fond memories of grandparents. She could ask questions about things that they enjoy and show an interest, or at least a concern for the answers to those questions.

But, the best advice is for her to be herself. The woman that you fell in love with is going to be just fine with your parents, anything less would be unfair to them.

It won't be long before she wonders why she was ever so nervous in the first place.

One other thing, an ace in the hole of sorts, you will never find three people in one room who would want to look at your baby pictures more than your fiance and parents. So, if I were your fiance, at some point I would ask to see them. The showing of the baby pictures and the laughing of the only 3 people on the planet who care about those pictures is quite a bonding experience...I highly recommend it. After all, isn't this why we save those baby pictures? For one reason...to show the future spouse and sit around and laugh at them. She really needs to do this one.

OK, now I have to suck coffee and answer some emails. I'll be back soon!

Meg

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought Id let you know that things went smashingly..my mother even took her shopping, you know yiu are in like flynn when mom takes you shopping, so things are on the right path...dad's jaw dropped and I had to physically close it for him, so we know his approval was given. One of these days I will share a picture of the Happy Radio couple, but until I have one, that will have to wait!

October 25, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

You know I love a picture. I want to find the MRI of the thing that's growing on my spine. It occurred to me that if I held it up to the light, you might be able to see the thing on my spine. I just don't know where the fuckers are right now. I'll run across them one day soon, I'm sure.

Congrats on the happy meeting, may there be a zillion more!


Ciao,

Meg

October 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home