.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Good morning!

I was just taking my mascara off with eye make-up remover and my eyes burned a bit. That doesn't usually happen, maybe I'm just tired from working all night. Anyway, I started thinking that perhaps I shouldn't be using shit that requires a special cleanser to remove from my eyes. But, I'll still do it because if I wear nothing else at all, I have to wear mascara.

I don't know why, but I just do. I think that most women have one particular type of make-up that they can't walk out the door without applying. I've met quite a few lipstick addicts. But, personally, I need the mascara. Without it I feel as though I have no eyes at all.

I don't understand why women don't just stop using make-up all together. I would stop if everyone else did. As a matter of fact, I really wish that we would all get together and set a date that would be the final day of make-up...forever.

Back when women were burning bras and scoffing at the thought of being viewed as sex objects, they had the perfect opportunity to end the daily chore once and for all. They proclaimed freedom from all of the previous ties that bound them to the role from which they were desperately trying to escape. Slaves no more to the kitchen, women ranted on and on for years about how they didn't want to be slaves to men or sexuality in any capacity. But, for some reason, they chose not to abolish the time consuming, tedious, daily ritual of worshipping at the vanity. They were willing to let it all hang out and lose the bra, but make-up, they wanted to keep.

Instead, they have consistently attempted to raise the bar and today even the men are wearing make-up and having plastic surgery. Are they nuts? Do they have any idea what they're getting themsleves into? This hideous practice of applying stiff, mudlike goo to the hairs on your eyes has got to be stopped in it's tracks before things get out of control...if they haven't already.

What I don't understand is why we can't have really cool make-up. I like shiny gold and silver stuff, why can't I paint my face silver? How come beige is an acceptable face paint color but silver isn't? If we aren't going to band together and save ourselves ten minutes to an hour of face painting every single day, the least we can do is play around a bit more. We should make life a bit more colorful and take a few risks. Why not start out small with little things like exchanging lip liner for eye liner? That's not too out of there, I think it might be fun.

Sigh...I just made myself some soft boiled eggs using my egg timer. It's a tiny hourglass thing from Vegas but it doesn't last for anywhere near an hour. I think it's broken. Those eggs were far too runny. Those damned things never work, I don't know why I keep using them. Does anyone out there know exactly how long it takes to boil a medium size egg just long enough to cook the whites thoroughly and a small part of the yolks? If you do, send me a comment telling me. I cannot abide raw egg white on toast.

Tonight will be my 5th night in a row of 12 hour shifts that actually last 14 hours. I'm not going to work like this for very long, just long enough to bank some cash so that I can afford to take some time off if I end up having some sort of procedure or surgery that lays me up for a while. I couldn't work like this for very long, it would kill me. My legs are sore but my back is KILLING me. This is literally back breaking work.

Last night I went in at 7 and was sent to work on a telemetry unit. There was another nurse there from the same agency that I work for. After about 2 hours into the shift, the charge nurse said that one of their nurses was coming in at 11 and that one of us would have to leave. We were both too busy to worry about it at that point and we both wanted to stay so we agreed to flip a coin later to decide who would stay and who would go home. Then, as the night progressed, I started realizing that the nurse who I had relieved left me a HUGE mess. I didn't know if she had given the medications or not because they weren't initialed. One lady had blood hanging and the other nurse left for the night without saying a word to me about it. I went into the room and found the blood running AND the paperwork which hadn't been completed.

I saw so many things that had been screwed up or just left for me that I walked into the nurses station and said, "We don't need to flip a coin, I'll leave. Let some other schmuck take the heat for this mess in the morning." I was so damned irritated. If you're not a nurse, you wouldn't know it, but leaving the blood and the paperwork was seriously bad for her to have done. It would have been fine if she told me and I had agreed to handle the blood...I would have gladly done that. But leaving without saying a word was not at all good. It was literally her 4th day as a registered nurse so I can see how some of the stuff could get screwed up, but not as much stuff as she left.

Anyway, at 11 the other nurse came in and as I was giving report to the other nurse, the charge nurse said that another unit in the hospital was short. She said that one of us ("us" being me and THEIR nurse, not me and the other agency nurse) could go to the unit that was short. That time I spoke up. I said that I was almost finished with report and I didn't want to stay there so I was going to the other floor.

The other floor turned out to be a great floor and they were having a calm night. I worked with another nurse, a guy named Ben. I didn't have my own patients, I was just going to do a bunch of his work because he had so many. One of those patients had a police guard. That was interesting. the cop and I spoke for a long time. He showed off pictures of his adorable little boy and the night that began with such frustration, ended very pleasantly.

Then I come home and my egg whites are runny. Life surely is interesting.

Gotta go to bed now, see ya!

Meg

1 Comments:

Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Hi Lady!

Long time no see! Thanks girl...I had forgotten that you could trun the water off when making the hard boiled eggs, I'm sure if I shortened the time a bit each time I make them, I will eventually get to the point where they are perfect...I'll let you know when I figure it out. I don't mind if they're overcooked a bit, but I cannot abide them under-cooked. So, if I start at 17 minutes and work backwards, I should reach the perfect soft boiled egg point before long.

Thanks for popping in!

Meg

November 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home