.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Meg...

"...Welcome to the Arctic Circle!! LOLOMG!! Can it get any colder in the Bay area tonight??? I don't think so! I got an email warning about the temp being in the low to mid thirties in the early morning hours...."

Well, that's just because I have that kind of luck. It follows me everywhere. The very first time I ever visited Florida was the coldest weekend of the entire year. Seems as though I've done it again.

I woke up this morning to my father saying, "Girls...it's time to wake up!" Talk about bringing back memories of childhood. Marie and I are sharing a room like two sisters should.

Anyway, I walked into the kitchen and realized that it had to be 60 degrees in this condo. I said to my dad, "Why is it so cold in here?" He said that he had turned the heat on and I guess it is warming up a tad. But I was right...it WAS 60 degrees in here! Oh well, I didn't really come down here to vacation on the beach anyway.

Yesterday we got an e-mail from our other sister saying that a childhood friend of ours had been found dead in his New York apartment. I was stunned. I used to baby-sit him and his older siblings. His mother and I became good friends as I got a bit older. Her older kids were friends of my younger sisters. The younger kids were the ones that I baby sat.

Tommy, the one who died, was always a sweet little boy. I haven't seen him in a very long time and had no idea that he was living in New York. They found him dead in his apartment and he had been there for a few days. It has become a coroner's case so we don't know what killed him. He did have health problems since the day he was born so I guess it was something to do with that...not something sinister. We'll know soon.

I just cannot imagine getting a phone call saying that your son has been found dead, alone is his apartment hundreds of miles away from where you live. I haven't seen Tommy in a very long time and I'm aching over his passing, I don't know how his mother is dealing with it. It's just not supposed to happen like this...we shouldn't find out that people who we baby-sat have died. Parents should never have to bury their own children. Life isn't fair, I realize that. But does it have to be so damned UNFAIR? I'm sure we'll be learning more about this as the days go by.

OK...so here I am, shivering in Tampa. I've heard from one of my blog buddies (see the comment below the last post) so I will finally be meeting another one of you! Then, when I go home...I HAVE to meet my local blug buddies...I'm really looking forward to that. This blog has been rather good to me and making good friends is the best of all the things that I've received from it. How great to be able to fly into a city and say, "Hi guys! Anyone up for a meeting?" And, as much as I plan on traveling this year...I can't wait to see how many of you I will be able to meet. One of these days I'm going to write a book about my divorce and the blog and a HUGE message from the book will be the wonderful people whom I've met through this silly thing. I never had a clue that this was a possibility when I began it!

My other sister also lives here and her step-son is going to be having his Bar Mitzvah while I'm here. I knew that she had married a Jewish guy...but I never really thought about the opportunity to participate in the rituals of the religion. I'm pretty excited about that.

I dated a Jewish guy when I was 17-18 and we were in LOOOOVE! His parents adored me until we became very close. Then I became the "yutz" and the "shiksa". They finally made him break up with me because he needed to be with a Jewish girl...not a shiksa. After that I swore that I would never date another Jewish guy unless he was an orphan. It's never come up...but I think that my sister has proven that a "mixed" marriage can, most assuredly, be a success.

Have any of you guys ever been involved in a relationship that your parents disapproved of for racial, cultural or religious reasons?

After I realized that this guy's parents disapproved of me because of my religion, I asked my parents if they felt the same way. My mother responded, "I thought we raised you better than that? Of course we don't care...we just want you to be happy." I had a wonderful mother.

Of course, my father DID tell me to stop marrying men who's last names ended in a vowel.

See ya soon!

Meg

PS Stay tuned, in my next post I am going to "out" my sister's husband and the bimbo that he cheated with. This is going to be a GOOD one!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love reading your blog. Just been lurking.
If you are ever in Chicago give a shout. Love meeting new people too.

January 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home