.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Before I left for the store...

...I HAD to read Abby. That nit wit has done it again. Look at this:

I have a 15-year-old nephew I have suspected is gay for a long time. I recently saw his profile on myspace.com because I search there often, checking on my daughter. I found that he is on there and has listed his sexual orientation as "Bi."...I am sure that his mother, my sister, is not aware of this. Is it my responsibility to tell her? -- DISTRESSED AUNT IN MIAMI

DEAR DISTRESSED AUNT: If your nephew were engaging in self-destructive behavior, I would say tell his parents. However, identifying one's sexual orientation doesn't fall into that category.

OK...if the aunt found that her straight 15 year old neice was online advertising her sexuality, would THAT be considered self-destructive behavior? Would Abby still say that the aunt should continue to keep the mother in the dark?

Or, do we just "protect" the 15 year old gay kids who are out there setting themselves up for a predator to pounce on? Gay, straight, bi or somewhere in between, a 15 year old child does NOT have the maturity to handle the potential freaks that might just see his myspace ad as an invitation to engage in some kind of conversation that could easily lead to a meeting and potentially a disappearance. How many young children need to be kidnapped before we take this sort of thing seriously?

Jeez, is it me? What do you guys think?

Now I HAVE to go to the store.

Meg

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely correct Meg, imho. The fact alone that the child has a myspace account requires parental intervention and control. At the very least the parent(s) need to have a discussion about safe online practices like, not stating one's sexual orientation in that venue.

Move over Dear Abby, Meg's in town :)

January 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home