.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Meg,

"... grew up and currently live at the Jersey shore. It's almost blaspemy that I don't like seafood. Ick. Mr. Jaded is from MA and LOVES it...The whole Italian seafood thing at Christmas (7 fishes feast) tends to be more of a southern Italian or Sicilian deal. My family is from northern Italy and they never ate seafood. Lamb is usually served at Easter, so the squid seems strange to me..."

For all I know it was St. Joseph's Day...who knows, they celebrated every feast there was. I assumed it was Easter because of the Wee Butterball.

I was born in Jersey as well, but in Jersey City and any seafood right there is probably radioactive.

The first time I met that hubby's family was Christmas Eve and he told me to come really hungry because of all the food. Well, I did. But there was some sort of fish in every damn thing that they served. I didn't recognize any of the vegetables but I shoved what I thought were small potatoes in my mouth only to learn that they weren't potatoes, they were scallops. Blech.

So, the first time I met the family was the night that I also met the first food that I was ever afraid of. It never got any better than that...I hated the food at family get togethers...but I loved the restaurants they went to. We went to the best restaurants in Chicago. Food is very important to that family.

Oh! Once I went to a family event (could have been Easter, who knows?) hosted by my father in law's sister. Her husband's family came too and in that family was Joe Abruscato, one of my first loves. I "dated" him when I was 14. That was a real shocker...you don't expect an old boyfriend to show up related to you.

That was a heckuva nice family. They talked about you behind your back but they were very sweet to your face so I didn't mind. I like people who are sweet to your face. The behind the back talk doesn't really affect me one way or another so I didn't mind. Life's too short to worry about such things.

The problem that I had with the family is that after dinner, the men always played poker and the women all sat in the other rooms watching chicldren. I didn't want to do that so I sat at the table and played poker. I could hear them talking about me then...they didn't try to hide it. I guess they had never seen a woman have fun before. I don't know why they bitched, I helped with the dishes first.

OK, gotta go, see ya later!

meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home