.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Good morning!


I don't know if I still smell like men's cologne or not but I can't get the smell out of my head so I still smell the crap. It's getting on my nerves now but I suppose I'll get rid of it sooner or later. JQ was right...it's going to take more than one round of washing to get rid of this stench.

No, I didn't name the kitten yet...I was going to let Chandler name it but her idiea of a kitten name is Cappy...it's a cat and it's happy so it should be named Cappy. She named it something else and then changed her mind so I'm afraid to call it by another name for fear she'll change her mind again. And, I don't like Cappy.

I got this email the other day:

"...I can't do comments on your blog from work (I'm firewalled -- I think I told you), so I'll add my 2 cents from here on naming pets. I can't remember if I told you that I used to have a kitten named Maggie -- yes, really. It was short for "Magnolia", as I got her in celebration of moving to Georgia...You're from Chicago, right? So how about Wrigley -- or Comiski? Or the county name where Chicago is located? (I have no clue.) Or if you really wanna get radical, how about O'Hare? My nephew and his girlfriend bought a dog while they were living in Chicago, and by the time they left (soon after getting the dog), they still hadn't named it, and I tried to get them to name it Wrigley as a "souvenir" from their time spent there, but though they loved Wrigley Field (strange since they aren't baseball fans like yours truly), I couldn't convince them. I thought it was kind of cute -- a Wrigley little puppy. Kittens are Wrigley, too..."

I like the Chicago idea....I just haven't come up with a good name yet. You guys have to help this poor kitten...it's wondering around nameless.

OK, the kitten who has no name is sneezing all over the place. I don't know what's wrong with him but he seems to have a cold! I guess I have to take it to the vet before I had planned on doing that. Then, I have to take it back to the pound to have it "chipped". They don't do it until the kitties get some fat on them and this one has none. I have to take the cat back to the pound so that when it gets lost, they can charge me a fine. I never let my cats outside and if they did get out if would be an accident and they shouldn't fine me for an accident. Assholes.

Ugh...my dog smells. I have to give it a bath and I don't want to since the house is still a mess from the kids. I would pay someone a lot of cash to clean this place up now...my son doesn't seem to be cleaning it anytime soon. He left to go out as soon as the kids left and then he came home after I went to bed and he left before I got up so I can't even tell him to clean it up. The only thing worse than the mess those kids made is the thought of that mess getting wet.

For some stupid reason I offerred to make a vegetable lasagna for work and it has to be done tomorrow. I don't know how to make a lasagna now, I have to work tonight and then again tomorrow...and I haven't even gotten the stuff to make it yet. Damn...I have to go think about this.

See ya in a little while, I have to this about this one.

Meg

Oh. I figured out the vegetable lasagna predicament. I have to make the shit now. I slept all night so this is the best chance I'll have at getting it right. So, I have to run out and buy all the stuff and have it ready to be put on the chaffing dish the first thing in the morning.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just buy the vegetable lasagna from M&M meatshop, put it in your own caserole dish, heat it up and voila! None will be the wiser ;)

LOL why Cappy? I say you should name the kitten Fish. Haha I can just imagine it now, "Here Fishy Fishy Fishy"

May 07, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

OOOHH!! I can't buy a cheap lasagna, this is a contest and my vegetable lasagna is famous for it's superb culinary delights! I m far too proud of my cooking skills!

Meg

May 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True. Ok, how about take-out from a nice Italian restaurant then? Minimal effort, maximum results! :)

May 07, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

That's an idea. If I'm too tired to do this, I may have to. I do have a BACK UP THEN.

mEG

May 07, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

My famous vegetable lasagna is far too good to be faked...I went to the store and bought the veggies and the stuff for the lasagna and now I'm cooking the sauce with veggies instead of meat. This is harder than making regular lasagna. OK then, now I have to get the recipe ready for printing.

Meg

May 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you print the recipe for me?

Caryn

May 07, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Sure:

My Mother's Wonderful Vegetable Lasagna

I don't know how my wonderful Irish mother came up with such a great recipe for this Italian dish, but she did. It's the best lasagna that I ever tasted. It's so good that I never order it at any restaurant, not even the best Italian places in Chicago. It even impressed my ex Italian in-laws and now my daughter makes it to glowing raves.

It takes a long time to make so when I do it, I usually make two trays and I even stuff some manicotti's with the cheese mixture. I used to freeze the second tray but my kids would take it out and eat it as soon as the first one was gone so now I just leave it out there and we all eat lasagna for a week and a half.


This recipe has three basic ingredients, the cheese mixture, the sauce and the pasta. I use the ordinary lasagna noodles but you could probably use any pasta that you want to use.

CHEESE MIXTURE:

32 ounces of ricotta cheese
2 lbs. of shredded mozzarella (leaving a cup aside for the top of each tray)
One large container of parmasian and romano cheese
2 eggs
1 cup chopped spinach
2 tablespoonfuls of Italian seasoning
1 teaspoonfuls each of salt and pepper

Mix this all together in a large bowl and put in the fridge until you use it.

SAUCE:

(You can use your own sauce recipe here but if you'd like, this is mine and I find that it works best.)

1 cup of diced carrots
2 cups of diced zuchinni
½ cup diced red peppers
1 medium onion, diced
2 32 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
1 medium green pepper chopped up

1 tablespoon each of:
oregano
garlic
rosemary
thyme
parsely
Italian seasoning
sugar

1 teaspoonful each of:
celery seed
fennel seed
salt
pepper

2 bay leaves (to be removed before using sauce)
1/4 cup olive oil (if you don't have olive oil, don't use any other oil. This is for flavor, not for anything else.
1 jar of Four Cheese Ragu Spaghetti Sauce. (This sounds like you're cheating, but you're not. It's just an ingredient that assures a great sauce, not the sauce itself. My mother didn't use it but I do.)

Brown the veggies and then add sauces and seasonings. Simmer for at least an hour, tasting every 15 minutes to see if you need to add anything. Set sauce aside until you're ready to use it.

Boil lasagna noodles according to directions on the box. Always put about a quarter cup of olive oil in the water when you boil the pasta. For this, any oil will do but I prefer olive oil.

Pour a half cup of sauce into a 13X9 inch pan. Lay 3 pieces of the pasta on the bottom of the pan and then spread cheese mixture on that, the cheese spread should be about 1/2 inch thick here. Cover the cheese mixture with sauce and then begin again with another layer of pasta. Repeat this until you have 3 layers of everything and then cover with pasta, pour sauce on that to cover it and sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Let sit for a half an hour before serving. This should make enough for two 13X9 inch pans.

If I have extra cheese mixture, I stuff some manicotti shells and cover them with sauce and sprinkle that with mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

I keep aside some sauce to cover the lasagna or manicotti with because I like mine saucy.

It's tough to make exactly enough of everything so you will always run out of something before the rest of everything is gone. That's OK, if you have extra sauce, that's good because you can use it for anything you want to use it for. Extra cheese mixture is good because you can stuff manicotti or mix in another type of pasta and bake. Extra noodles are another story. You could mix them with some olive oil and spices and serve like that, but I just toss them. You can freeze portions and reheat later. Bake them before freezing.

Serve this with a nice salad and whatever bread you like. I promise, people will rave about this recipe!

May 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home