.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The department that I work in...

... has a policy regarding call-ins. Our spouses cannot call in sick for us. Perhaps if we were in the emergency room it would be one thing. But when it comes to communication, responsibility and professionalism, we are expected to do our job or suck up our discomfort and explain why we can't. Although a job in nursing is nothing like a job as the leader of the free world, it is one that requires a modicum of personal strength.

Unfortunately, not all of my co-workers have the courage to own their own behavior and speak up for themselves. Sometimes we have employees who would avoid confrontation at all costs. In my experience, those people tend to have something to hide. Just an observation.

Hillary Clinton has been sending Billy boy all over the place. And, she seems to load him with some pretty heavy duty comments. Once he's full of those, Mrs. Clinton aims her husband at Senator Obama and let's him take the heat for all the comments that the former President is making.

Many people have urged Bill to "back off". They should speak directly to the candidate and her staff. Bill isn't some rogue husband out there sabotaging his wife's bid for the Presidency...he's been sent out by the campaign to take the heat of off the candidate.

I think that most intelligent men and women can see this situation for what it is. Unfortunately, they're in the minority. But, they also understand the idea of a strong woman. A strong woman is one who can achieve, accomplish and lead on her own power, not on that of her husband.

The strongest women leaders of the past 50 years have been amazing women, mostly married. But for the life of me, I don't who their husbands were.

I know there was a Mr. Thatcher, but I don't know anything about him. I don't even know if Golda Meir was married or not. Phyllis Schaffly was married...I think. But once again, I know nothing of her husband. The same with Jean Kirkpatrick, Condeleeza White and Jill Morgenthaler. These women all did their own thing and that thing was to rise in their own fields to the point where they became national and international powerhouses.

And they did it all without depending on any help from their husbands with the possible exception of husband-wife conversations that all married couples have about their jobs. A good husband may inspire his wife, but he shouldn't do her job for her.

I think that a woman could...most assuredly do a wonderful job as the leader of the free world. I just hate the idea of that leader, my President, turning to her husband with a helpless look on her face and her hand rubbing his inner thigh as she says, "Honey...could you help me with something?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home