.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Today I have a brand new grandson...

...he weighs 8 pounds which is pretty good considering that he was born minus his right arm. He'll be a south paw for sure, we'll never have to guess about that. Can you imagine how strong that arm is going to be? I think that my grandson is going to be one heckuva strong character all around.

I know some things that no one else knows about him yet. He's a blessing to my daughter who at times needs a reminder of how strong she is. Little Joachin will let her know every single day now that he's here. I'd thank him now for that but he hasn't learned any English yet. Someday I'll have to let him know how much I appreciate everything he's going to do for my beautiful daughter who waited a long time for him to show up.

As proud as I am of her, I can only imagine the pride she will feel for her little boy. Everything he does will be just a little tougher for him but as he tries a bit harder, she will beam with the pride of a mother who has watched her child face challenge after challenge and accomplish things she never dreamt him capable of accomplishing.

We're all born with challenges ahead of us, but most of us don't realize how strong our children are because we assume that success is a given. Joachin's mother won't make that assumption lightly so when he shows his strength, she will be a lucky mother indeed. She will know that her son has worked hard to tie his shoes, write his name and catch a ball. Most mother's take such achievements as ordinary milestones but my daughter will see Joachin's success's as the true triumphs that they are. She's a lucky mother indeed.

What a strong arm he will have! That one arm will take him through life, literally single-handedly. It will be a Herculean arm that will hug her tightly enough to let her know that her son doesn't need two arms to show his love and appreciation for a mother who has grown stronger along with him. My pride in them both may be early, but it is well placed, of that I am sure.

I often wonder why so many challenges are placed in my way but Joachin's birth has answered so many questions. I had to face challenges so that I could be here today, and be here with the strength that my daughter needs as she meets her amazing little boy. I can't afford to be in California to hold Joachin yet but I am so looking forward to meeting the little man myself. He will do with one arm what many can't do with two. My wonderful daughter gets to watch him grow up to be a strong man who will show her that he only needs one arm to reach his own stars, however high they may be.

Once again, I thank Joachin for what he will do for my daughter. The tiny arm he possesses today will be an amazing arm and he will be an amazing human being, giving us all strength that we never knew we had. And I thank my daughter for giving me such an amazing gift, a grandson who has already, in less that 12 hours on this planet, shown me why life can be so rocky. And, he's made me a little bit ashamed that I ever asked, "Why me?"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's beautiful. Everything happens for a reason, and I have no doubt that Joachin has a purpose here in which he is the only one capable of achieving. People may see him as handicapped, but he is perfect in the eyes of the universe. Perfectly suited to achieve his life purpose, whatever that may be.

How do I get in touch?
-Ben

March 09, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your care and compassion for your new Grandson is without limits! God Bless...
Mark

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. ~ T.E. Lawrence

March 09, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home