.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, April 05, 2013

Happy Deep Dish Pizza Day!!!


This was taken at Chicagoland's famous Lou Malnati's. I'm salivating just thinking about what that pizza tastes like.

Chicago is my favorite city in the world. I love the museums, the parks and the architecture. The architecture is amazing, mainly a result of the fire begun by Mrs. O'Leary's cow. After the smoke cleared and the city began to rebuild, the most famous architects in the world came to participate in building Chicago...The Second City. (Chicago was never called The Second City because it was second to anyone, today's Chicago simply is, the second Chicago.)

One day I was walking in the downtown area, not too far from the Sears Tower. I was further east and a tad north of the Tower. (I will never, ever, as long as I live, refer to it as the W****s Tower.) As usual, I was enjoying the architecture of the area when all of a sudden, I saw a building that had carvings of swastikas all around it at the top of the first floor. I sort of stopped in my tracks and stared...am I really seeing this? How could I have lived here for decades and never known about the swastika building?

This is what I saw, only it was around the entire periphery of the building:




I later learned that the building pre-dated the swastika as WE know it. It had other meanings before Hitler made it a symbol of the worst form of evil possible out of human beings.

I need to do something right now, but I'm not done with this post, I'll be back.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Rod said...

Did you see that Studs Terkel passed away? He was a writer, of course, but I remember hearing him on the radio, too. It may have been on WCFL, which fits, and last on NPR. He was one of the Old Chicago group and I could imagine him hanging with Mike Royko,Harry Carey, Jack Brickhouse and Hizzoner, Richrd J. I agree, Chicago is a great place.

April 05, 2013  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

No, I hadn't heard that he passed away. That's too bad, I enjoyed him and Royko daily.

You just hit me with some blasts from the past. I'll never forget Brickhouse's double play call, "From Pappas to Poppo to Peppi!!!"

Before I found FM, I listened to the 2 top 40 stations, at the time they were WCFL and WLS.

Those were the days.

:)

April 05, 2013  
Anonymous Rod said...

So then I was gonna say that last weekend I watched Svengoolie on METV. Berwyn?
And this morning on NPR an item on Roger Ebert said he too would hang out at the Billy Goat Tavern.

April 06, 2013  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Yep. I grew up in Elk Grove Village and Bensenvile but as an adult I lived closer to Chicago. The closest I lived to Berwyn would have been an apartment on
25th and Roosevelt. I thijnk that was Broadview. It wasn't too far east of Manheim.

Now, I have a chore for you, seriously. I looked and looked forever online for a video of ANYONE playing The GRAND PRIZE GAME!!! I did find Hardrock, CoCo and Joe.

April 06, 2013  
Anonymous Rod said...

Looking. But check out

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C8643D4E4E2A039C

April 06, 2013  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

OMG! Thanks, that's too cool! I just watched the Empire Carpet dude from before he was a cartoon!!! And I sang the song...588-2300..EMPIRE!

I could go on (Al Piemonte Ford, bought my first Mustang there, Long Chevrolet, my father was in the Army with Jim Long, his best friend and the reason my father wanted to mover to Chicago in the first place!)

You've put a smile on my face and I thank you for that!

Meg

April 06, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home