.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I saw the leaves





When I was a kid, I had to sit with the TV in my face to be able to see what was happening. My father always said, "Back up, you'll mess up your eyes if you sit so close." Both of my parents constantly told me not to "squint". I had been squinting and NOT seeing the TV until one day in 1973 when, at the school's urging, my parents took me to an eye doctor who gave me a prescription for glasses that I FINALLY had. Naturally, at the same time, I had braces and was going through a dreadfully awkward phase to say the least. Those hideous brown glasses on me was like a bad pitcher with a paisley glove.

It didn't help that my long blond hair made me look like Linda Blair during the heyday of The Exorcist. And apparently, not in a good way...they referred to me as Exorcist Lady. I got back at them all by sprouting and dating college men. Senior year was quite nice for me after The Exorcist Lady craze. Before that, lordy, I hated high school.

I still had the glasses senior year but I didn't wear them because I didn't want to. I might have if they were at ALL cool, but brown glasses were out 5 years before I had them. Anyway it's too bad that I made myself miss so many leaves. Today I really miss seeing the leaves...as I did the afternoon my mom and I drove away from the eye glass place. Up until then, trees had been nothing but big, green, blobs. The were lovely with leaves on them.

Today my father has 6 kids who all wear glasses. He never even thought that I might need glasses because neither he nor my mother wore them. And, as he reminded me often, I was the first kid and meant to be practiced on. Oh well.

My glasses are broken and I'd like to see the leaves again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tundra Woman said...

(Personally, I'd like to smoke some.)
Any adult who tells a teenager, "Oh, but sweetie, these are the BEST years of your life!" should be tased. Minimally.

Where's your contacts?-The ones you stick on your eyeballs?
TW

April 17, 2013  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I haven't had any in a while. I had a script for glasses so at one point I had a pair but the script for contacts had expired. I jumped up in my living room a few years ago because there was a cop at my door. My daughter couldn't get in touch with me because I had done something to my computer that unbeknownst to me, had messed up my phone. When she couldn't reach me, she called the cops who came to my house to do a welfare check. My dog let me know someone was coming up the walk way. I was sitting in a chair with a bong...go figure...and I puyt it behind the chair just in time to see the shoulder of the person. It was a cop, I dropped the bag behind the chair and jumped up to get to the door before the cloud of smoke. When I did, my glasses fell out of my lap and landed on the floor. Naturally, I stepped on them. I've had a broken pair for years but when I was in the domestic violence shelter, someone stole the broken onoes! Shortly after that I tried to kill myself and then I totally lost track of everything when they took me to the cuckoo's nest.

:(

April 18, 2013  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Oh yea...BTW...I'd love to go back to high school with my current brain, but all stupid again would be hell.

April 18, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home