.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Surgery over

Hi y'all,

I'm back in my room, #515B St. Joseph's Hospital, Tampa Florida. I'm shocked but after having and open reduction and internal fixation of my left mandible (in other words, they pinned my jaw back together) I'm actually almost ready to leave the hospital. They said that there's a chance that I can go home tomorrow if I want to! Naturally, if I can, I will leave ASAP.

The doctor's put a small incision on the outside of my jaw, I have no clue where because I'm, afraid to look in the mirror. The rest of the cutting was done inside my mouth. Every so often I spit out some more tooth pieces. I lost a couple of full teeth and a bunch of tooth bits. As you might conclude, I'm in a lot of pain. They're alternating IV morphine and PO (by mouth) narcotics. I think it'll will be better after 2 or 3 more doses.

The doctor put me on a soft diet but they brought me a turkey dinner. Any other time I would LOVE that but today I can't chew so I called the kitchen and asked for some mashed potatoes and gravy. It's been over 2 hours and I haven't gotten it yet. I'm so hungry but I can't seem to get them to bring it up. I've called but to no avail. I guess I'll eat again sooner or later...I hope so anyway! I've lost so much weight that none of the clothes that I packed fit anymore and Walter has almost every stitch of clothing that I own.

Talk about your bad weeks...early this morning I found out that my aunt passed away. Today is her daughter's birthday. It wasn't unexpected but I doubt anyone thought that she'd pass on my cousin's birthday. This aunt is a doll, I spent time with her when I was a teenager and she took me all over north Jersey and Manhattan. She will be sorely missed, I miss her already.

Well, I should go because I don't have my charger since I didn't plan today very well so I need to skat and call the kitchen to see where my mashed potatoes have run off to before the kitchen closes. If you have nothing to do, you can call me. I can't speak much, but I am lonely.

Meg

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mechanical soft? My definition of mechanical soft diet is when you order a boot and then they puree it and reshape it into an exact replica of what the boot looked like before they ran it through a blender and then use a tea strainer to feed it to you. I am having an endoscopy tomorrow to fix an ulcer that has been bleeding for a while so I will think about you as the room starts spinning.

June 09, 2013  
Blogger Tundra Woman said...

Ms. Meggers, Have you been discharged or moved to another room?
TW

June 11, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home