.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I had a very sad email this morning...

...I have a wonderful younger brother who has had problems with drugs in the past. Somehow, he found a wonderful woman and they married. This morning I received an email from him (as did everyone in our family) explaining that he had relapsed and used cocaine. Of course, when he used again, he lied to his wife. He is waiting to find out what she wants to do but at this point, it looks likes they will be getting a divorce.

My brother is the second to the youngest in our family. I am the oldest so I remember the day he came home from the hosptial. He was so cute, I actually charged my friends a nickle to see him. He grew to be a very handsome and kind man. He had asthma as a child and he was in and out of the hospital all the time. I remember coming home from school one day and the kitchen was full of neighbors. My mother asked me to look around and see who was there. I saw Michael sitting in the playpen. He was so tiny and so sick...but he was smiling through it all. He has always been the kind of person who would give you the shirt off of his back but somehow he has never cared enough about himself to stay out of trouble. Nothing he ever did was aimed at anyone else, his trouble always involved him doing something stupid. When he was 12, he met a young man who's name was also Mike. Those two got into more trouble than Bonnie and Clyde. My parents were politcal people and they could always get him out of any jam he was in but that seems to have been a bad thing because he has been in so much trouble as an adult that I have to wonder if he wouldn't have been better off if my parents had handed him over to the cops when he stole a pick up truck and went for a joy ride at the age of 12. The other Mike's parents had lost one child to drugs and they weren't going to sit back and watch it happen again so they put their son in military school and he turned out fine. My brother, on the other hand, has always been in trouble.

Somehow, my beautiful baby brother grew up without any decent direction in life so he has floundered around ever since. I don't know what to do to help him and I don't think there really is anything that I can do except let him know that I love him unconditionally. I am so sad today.

Drugs are such a hideous thing, they steal more from us than any thief ever could. The guy who broke into my house couldn't have possibly taken more from me than drugs have taken. They took my brother. I want him back.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home