.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Meg...

"...I would like to offer advice as far as the divorce goes. I would speak to your lawyer and have them revise the paperwork. HE screwed up, not you. YOU should be the one saying how it's gonna be, not him."

You know, I hate it when my first instinct says something is wrong and I follow the stupid path anyway. I am going to call the attorney this morning and ask that the “cohabit meretriciously” term be taken out. As I said, I probably would never live with someone I wasn’t married to. But it is just plain asinine for a man who cheated on me, was abusive physically and had to leave me while I was so sick we didn’t know if I would live or die because his girlfriend couldn’t wait, dictate what I can and cannot do. It is the principle of the thing, isn’t it? It just plain seems wrong to me.

I want to ask you guys your opinion on something. In the papers, he wanted to have me do my tax return with him so he didn’t have to pay as much. I said yes, but I found out that if I did mine alone, I could buy a car. I really, really, need a car. They asked me for a “peace offering” of telling the prosecution that I wouldn’t push his trial. There was nothing in it for me and I felt as though it was wrong to do that. My question to you is, should I offer to do it now if he lets me file my own taxes so that I can buy a car? I would also ask for that term to be taken out. I’ve already agreed to all of this so it would be a change. Please, let me know what you all think so that I can make a decision quickly.

Good luck in all you do! Some NY fans are rooting for you!

Wow! New York? That’s too cool considering I am a Cubs fan. I guess I can forgive you guys for that 1969 thing now.

It’s baseball season again! I watched the Cubs kick the Diamondback’s asses the other day. That was fun. But if memory serves, they always do well until June 6th. I am going to enjoy them until they start to screw up even if that is some day in October when they have gone and blown another opportunity to go to the Series.

Do you have any idea of how many different ways a hitter can get to first base? I can come up with these:

1. single
2. walk
3. hit by pitch
4. error
5. dropped third strike
6. fielder’s choice
7. catcher interference

I remember knowing 9 ways at one time but I can’t remember the last 3.
My father had another question, what is the most pitches can one batter take at one official at bat (with NO foul balls) and still be at bat? I didn’t know this one but after my father explained it, I realized he was right. The answer is not 5.

Well, I need to find out when the Cubs will be here in Atlanta, I enjoy being one of the annoying out-of-towners. Especially in Atlanta because there are so many others. I have seen the Cubs play all over the country and I have never seen as many Cubs fans as I do when I go to Turner Field to see them play. At least not outside of Wrigley Field. There’s safety in numbers and there are plenty of us Cubs fans here. Usually, the Cubs come to Atlanta twice a year and I see them both times but one year recently, they only came once so I better find out when they will be here before I miss them.

You know what makes me feel bad? Watching those little boys play the game. I remember when big men played it. Now they let all the little boys play and I don’t understand that. I think men were much more fun to watch. When I was 18, a big man named Pete LaCock played first base for the Cubs. He was gorgeous. Of course, he couldn’t play baseball, but damn, he looked good standing at first. His father was Peter Marshall of Hollywood Squares (the original show). I don’t know what ever happened to Pete but I think about him often.

Oh, last night I had a great time. I hate shopping but when you have someone with you who is having a good time, it can be fun. I modeled close to 10 outfits and he ended up liking the first one I put on best. So, he bought it for me and then HE asked if I needed a purse to match...I didn’t even know men knew about matching purses! So, we got a cute little clutch to match the dress and then we went to Rich’s to get a matching necklace and bracelet. As we were leaving the mall, he said, “Do you have shoes to wear with the dress?” I said, “Yeah, I have a pair of black ones that would do.” He said, “No, we need to go back and get a pair that will match the dress if we are going to be dancing.” So, we did and then we went to the Chicago’s by my house for dinner. I had such a nice time. He kept telling me I was pretty and I haven’t heard that in years. At one point, he told me that I was blushing. I didn’t know I still blushed. It made me feel so good that I am going to make it my mission in life to get people out of hideous relationships so that they can find someone who will treat them as well as I am being treated. Damn...I wish I had known about such men a long time ago. Of course, this one was in grade school the last time I was single so I wouldn’t have seen him anyway but I bet I missed a bunch of good ones while I was with the coward. And what a pretty boy this one is. I guess I can’t really call him a boy, he owns his own surveying company, whatever that means.

When he dropped me off, I took him inside to meet my father. After he left, my Dad asked how old he was. I did to him what he has been doing to me for years. I said, “Why would you ask me such a question?” He shut up.

Well, I should go find out what I can accomplish with the attorney’s office. Please let me know your opinion regarding the tax thing, I could really use a car right now and the restraining order has been incorporated into the divorce papers so he can’t come near me ever again, unless the divorce expires. The car I can get is a late model Kia Sportage. Although I don’t particularly want one of them, the price is great and I could pay cash for it with my tax return.

So, let me know what you think, sometimes I don’t trust myself...I should have read the papers to you guys before I signed them so now I am asking for your advice before I do anything else. You all give me the best answers when I ask so I am asking now!

See ya soon!

Meg

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need a car!!! Tell the lawyer you want that changed ASAP. He at least owes you that. Glad you had fun shopping. When do we get to see the picture of the young one????

April 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the restraining order has been incorporated into the divorce papers so he can’t come near me ever again

so if you want to lift the restraining order, you could always marry him again by videoconference, or something.

But seriously ...

The meretricious cohabitation (sounds like it must be illegal, immoral or fattening : i.e. sounds like fun...) -- that's got to go. It's purely symbolic, it's not worth a dime to either of you, but it's degrading.

The tax thing. Did that come up during the mediation? You didn't sign that stuff off on the spot, did you? so your lawyer should have spotted it, surely, and ensured you understood the consequences. Was it a bargaining chip for something specific, or just part of the package?

Can you work out how much the joint declaration is worth for him? Let's see if I've got this straight :

-- File separately : Uncle Sam owes you money; Veck owes Uncle Sam money.

-- File jointly : ?? you jointly owe U.S.? U.S. owes you? You break even?


Is there a net difference between the two options? My reasoning is : it's dumb to give U.S. more than you have to, just to spite each other.

If there is an overall advantage to separate declarations, then that gives you a reason to revise the agreement : perhaps you could offer to split the difference (you give him part of your refund)?

If it's the joint declaration that's cheapest overall, then it's going to be harder to make a case for changing that.

About using the trial as a bargaining chip : intuitively that looks ugly. But on the other hand, what exactly is the point of getting a conviction against him? insofar as you've already got the restraining order. To blacken his name, sure : but to whose benefit?

- Just for revenge? I don't believe in that.
- Perhaps because a conviction might make him less likely to be violent to other women? Perhaps; but it also might have the opposite effect.

About your promise to law enforcement people : I don't know how fussed you should be about that. Sure, as a matter of justice, violent men should be convicted. But I think it's morally OK to not press, insofar as you are not under any duress.

April 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I like to keep things light.

So the answer to the maximum number of pitches in an offical at bat with out rickballs is 6. when the count gets to 3 balls 2 strikes the next pitch will end the at bat. hence 6 pitches.

There may be as many as 14 ways to make it to first base:

1) hit 2) walk 3) HBP 4) error 5) dropped 3rd strke 6) FC 7) catcher interference 8) umpire interference 9) fan interference (???) 10) pinch hitter 11) batted ball hits another runner 12) 4 illegal pitches (Is this a politican at election time???) 13) pitcher fails to deliver the pitch w/i 20 seconds 14) and if a game is suspended with a runner on 1B, and that player is traded prior to the make up game, another player can take his place on first (this could also be under the category of pinch hitter though)

I hope that these answer those most pressing questions.

Be safe and keep smiling.

April 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home