.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Good morning!!!

They say we learn best in the morning and I wanted to learn a couple of new words and I thought you might want to learn them with me...I like that, learning new words that is. I started reading the dictionary outside of school in two phases. First, besides just looking words up, I read all of the “instruction” pages that are filled with what now seems to be useless information. I must have felt the need to know that stuff because I remember reading it. Anyway, when I was 18, I started picking up the dictionary and purposely learning new words. I remember the first word I learned when I started doing that. It was "acrimonious". Anyway, let me look for a couple of new words for me and see if any of you know what they mean. Like the television trivia questions, I’ll put the answers in the comment section.

OK, let me see...the first word I came across that I didn’t know was “mammer”. I started at mammary.

No...it’s not what you call the little boys that I have to shoo away...the definition is in the comments.

OK, another word...tirl...I like those two. So, if you want to, you can learn what they mean too. (You know what’s odd? The spellchecker doesn’t like those two words but I got them straight out of Webster’s. Oh well.) I went out of my way to choose words that you actually might have occasion to use...I didn’t bother with scientific terms. Although...I could teach somebody something really easy and basic.

OK, I’ll do it.

Your body sets it’s metabolic “tone” early after you rise and if you don’t eat, your body will slow down the metabolic rate in response to it’s perceived “starvation mode”. Also, if you get up and move around a little bit after you wake up, your body will get ready for action and raise it’s metabolic rate. That’s a good thing. You’ll burn more calories during the course of the day if you just eat a little bit and move around really early in the day. It doesn’t take much...just something to keep in mind.

That’s the kind of information everybody can use. Theoretically, you could lose weight just by doing those two things because of the increased caloric usage from the accelerated metabolism. And, it’s always good to start your heart early in the day, you don’t feel as tired for the rest of the day. Man hasn’t been working 9-5 jobs in offices for very long...he has a little pent up energy. Walking is such a pleasure, the hard part is just doing it. Once you’re a block away from where you started, you begin to look around and find places to turn and look into. I like to go exploring in off the wall places.

There is this small waterfall 50 feet away from the road on the Blue Ridge Parkway somewhere in Virginia. I’ve been there a hundred times, mostly to get spring water, but for the life of me, I couldn’t tell you how to get there. I’d know it if I saw it. BUT...first I would have to remember if you turned north or south at Mill Mountain.

Anyway, a guy I know took me there to show it to me years ago and I’ve gone back often. Anybody who drives past it would never know it was there. As a matter of fact, tens of thousands of cars probably drive by before one stops to go to that little waterfall. But there it is, with the best natural spring water I’ve ever had. I think I’ve digressed again.

Oh well. What ever happened to that guy who’s father was the head of my high school’s science department? Just curious.

Well, I have to do a few things right now.

I’ll see ya soon.

Meg

2 Comments:

Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Mammer is to waver or to hesitate as in, "He who mammers is lost."

To Tirl is to "make rattling sounds, as with a door latch." "Willie Mae, shut that door and stop that gosh-derned tirlin', you're keepin' Pa awake."

OK, tirl and mammer. Mammer and tirl?

Anne? Something you order at the diner?

Meg

June 27, 2005  
Blogger Anne Arky said...

Yeah, right -- I can see the eyeballs of those guys coming right out of their heads if we walk in and ask for some mammer and tirl and hold the mayo! They'd probably never let us back in!

Anne

June 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home