.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

I’ve been trying to look up...

...quotes regarding television. Specifically, any thoughts on what perilous penalty we might pay for the privilege of watching that box. But, everywhere I look, all I can find is hate talk by every well known hate group that there is. I couldn’t find one thoughtful, cogent piece of information about the subject. (One thing I did see was that Google searches contribute heavily to pop up ads and therefore I am taking the ads off of this blog, I don't want to participate in the irritating tactics of that company.)

That’s rather annoying. I don’t like that because some would infer from these search results that only far out fanatics would make a claim that might be anti-Big Black Box.

I’m sure that the information must exist, but I can’t find it using the usual search methods or keywords. All I am finding is hateful rhetoric.

CNN and Fox News both do this brand of pigeonholing in that they do, indeed, represent the other side...but they do so with the biggest dunce that they can find to exemplify their obviously divergent views. CNN had a show where they actually used a preacher-dude as the “right” leaning guy and Fox uses Colmes to represent the “left” on Hannity and Colmes. So, sure, they have someone espousing the opposite opinion, but they choose a huge Bozo with whom they deliver the message.

If you watched 3 different newscasts, you would get 3 different sets of facts. How can you count on them to get anything right when they don't particularly care about the little details? Then, they manipulate the sound bites that they do use so that they can pretty much manipulate not only what actually occurred, but also the way you might feel about it.

They all blather on about being non-biased but they are all so inherently biased in their perspectives. And that, on the surface, doesn’t seem to be a bad thing...does it? Why not report both sides? Well, there’s a reason that it's wrong. This kind of behavior from the media is very polarizing. We should all be gathering accurate information and making rational judgments based on an analysis of that information. Freedom of the press was intended to go to a non-biased, fact reporting press. I doubt that the Founding Fathers ever could have foreseen Dan Rather coming.

We as citizens really don’t even choose the issues that are discussed on any given day. I don’t hear anybody discussing things that effect my life right now. Somehow, the media and the politicians seem to do this over-rehearsed dance that manipulates us into finding non-issues important.

We may develop an opinion simply by hearing about a particular issue. Then, when that issue is discussed further, we either re-examine or reinforce our opinions. We hear what others have to say and we consider varied viewpoints and then we come to our own conclusion. Sooner or later we have some small emotional stake in that issue and it becomes important to us. Before you know it, people are arguing about things that they never really cared about in the first place.

Most of us are smart enough to choose our battles a little more carefully but there is a segment of our society that enjoys the divisive atmosphere in which we find ourselves. They have found a way to actually market "special interests" and that's kind of frightening.

They flourish in an environment where blatant hypocrisy is tolerated and the “ends” steadfastly justify the “means”. Negativity is stalked down and embellished, and then it’s fed to us in daily tid-bits of never-ending prattle. I would hate to be judged in sound bites of my daily life. I would have to be on guard at all times and I couldn’t accomplish much like that. (Maybe that’s why they can’t get anything done.)

That intrinsic aspect of the media leans itself to manipulation. The politicians who are supposed to be busy running the country are instead, sparring daily for the evening news. They can take the most insignificant, inconsequential action or choice of words and accrue a months’ worth of complimentary media interest simply by pointing a finger.

With a simple, “Look what he did!” any given politician has efficiently deflected any accountability for the foreseeable future. He or she is now free to show up in front of the cameras and tell everyone what a bum the antagonist is and then the antagonist has to tackle the allegation and the media fall out which will, if only on a slow news day, most assuredly ensue. Nobody has to accomplish anything because obviously the bad guy is stopping them and the media is happy because they don't have to speak to each other that night. There seems to be no one who would benefit from peace and tranquility.

Oh well, it could be worse.

Now, if I could only find my glasses, I could see something. But I can’t.

So...I guess I’ll just go stare into space.

See ya,

Meg

1 Comments:

Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Does HaloScan work yet?

June 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home