.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, September 26, 2005

I hate the internet...

...it can be so irritating. Here I am trying to sign onto my G-mail account as I do 5 times a day and it won’t go to my email nor will it go to the G-mail home page. I can do anything else, I can even search G-mail and I get a quarter of a billion sites in 0.11 seconds and when I click on the link, it does nothing. Why? Why? I need to know...WHY!

10 years ago I never heard of this crap and here I am, using it every single day now. Our internet access is now a utility...we have to have it like we have to have electricity...what’s up with that? I imagine that back when they invented electricity, some people said, ‘Why on earth would anybody pay so much to have light in their house when they can just turn on the kerosene lamp? Or, “What sort of fool would pay $600 dollars for an auotMobeel when they could just saddle up their horse?”
Here we are dependent on a glorified typewriter, telephone, encyclopedia, television, record player. After thinking of all the things this sucker does, it’s actually a pretty neat thing, isn’t it?

When you listen to the TV news, they always give you the numbers of people who have no electricity...who the hell cares? What difference does it make how many people can’t watch TV? I’ve been without electricity after a few storms and I never thought it was newsworthy.

It was actually kinda funny looking back on it. I had given my son a tiny TV for Christmas, one that had a 2x2 inch screen. We had an ice storm shortly after the holidays and after a while, the entire family sat on the couch trying to watch that tiny TV. There was no way that everybody could see it at the same time so there was quite a bit of...”I can’t see!” or “What did he have in his hand?”

I had to cook on the kerosene heater...we had a bunch of canned beef stew and chili while the power was out. I just cooked the stuff in a saucepan on top of the heater. It worked really, really well. It’s actually a little fun to have the electricity go out, isn’t it?

The last time it went out was this past summer. I had a bunch of those big square-battery flashlights. Those things are great. I put two of them on my coffee table facing up and I could lie on the couch and read a book. I had two of them in 3 rooms and then I only needed a candle in the others. I thought it was pretty neat how well it worked...I just wish that I had someone else with me to enjoy it. I would have had fun playing cards or even Hide and Seek. That’d be freaky in the dark, wouldn’t it? As fun as all of this sounds, none of it is the least bit newsworthy.

Hell, it’s barely worth the time it’s taking me to write this. Oh well, I have to write something. I wonder why they don’t report how many people are without internet access? Or whether or not eBay has been affected?

I heard recently that there was a Superintendent of Schools that wanted to buy EVERY SINGLE STUDENT in the entire school system a computer. I think that's ridiculous. Even if you believe that all of the kids should have a computer, surely you must agree that it should be based on need. Rich kids should not have tax dollars pay for their computers.

Another thing, what an opportunity for corruption! Any government expenditure like that will capture the eye of some crooked freak. If anything, they should just give the kids a voucher and let them go buy their own computers. If the schools have no ONE company providing them, their isn’t anyone who would be trying to get a kickback. But, that kind of thinking makes too much sense. They’d rather buy the computers themselves than just give out vouchers with certain rules applying to them. But we can’t make that much sense...there’s too much cash to be made here.

Well, I have to go wash dishes...AGAIN.

See ya,

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home