.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I hate grocery shopping...

...and I hate spending money on things like food and garbage bags. But it must be done. I remember shopping with my grandmother and buying cans of soup for ten cents. That means that in her entire life, soup couldn’t have gone up more than 10 cents a can . The price of soup today makes it useless as a cheap lunch idea. I suppose some of us are cheaper than others, but I find it offensive to spend an entire dollar on a can of tomato soup. I’d rather buy three candy bars for that dollar at the check out aisle.

Lettuce isn’t cheap anymore either. It’s two bucks a head now. The first time I ever bought lettuce, I paid a dollar for four heads (that I ended up throwing away because it takes far too long to eat four heads of lettuce) and I think about that every time I see the lettuce at 2 bucks a head. I pass all of these things waiting to come along something reasonable and I then can’t find anything reasonable. Once in a while, they have ten things for ten bucks and that’s always pretty cool. But I can only eat so many Pringles, loaves of bread and home-style macaroni salad.

I remember cash registers that had little metal tabs that popped up with the numbers painted on them so it’s tough for me to pay more than a buck fifty a pound for any meat. Especially considering that if you watch Andy Griffith, you’ll see those very cash registers and scenes with chicken advertised at 19 cents a pound ...the signs I could have painted myself. I was certainly old enough to draw numbers in the early 60’s.

That was so long ago that I actually remember it all in black and white. When life was all in black and white, no one had to check their own groceries out. No one had to pump their own gas. You had to go into McDonald’s to get your Big Mac and a bottle of Pepsi was only a dime. Nowadays, I’m happy to get a dime off of my next purchase inside the cap of my Pepsi.

I still remember when it all went downhill. I was about 10 and I had a nickel. My family was driving from Virginia to Chicago and I had been carrying that nickel from Virginia, all the way to Indiana. I was going to use that stupid nickel to buy myself some Juicy Fruit gum. I planned on buying a 5 piece pack of gum...that’s what you got for a nickel back then. When my parents finally stopped at some gas station in bum-fuck Indiana, I got out of the car to buy my gum. I walked up to the counter and asked for my Juicy Fruit, holding my nickel up for all the world to see.

“That’ll be 7 cents.” said some redneck bitch with white lipstick and shiny, sky blue eye-liner.

I was taken aback. I didn’t have 7 cents. Where was I going to get two pennies? They didn’t just leave those things lying around back then. Not with 5 younger brothers and sisters...someone had picked up every spare penny. I didn’t know how to get two pennies and I didn’t have the time to get them. So, I just walked back to my parents Ford Country Squire and sat in my seat, without a seat belt...breathing my mother’s second hand smoke the entire way home...and now I had no gum and no hopes of buying any gum in the foreseeable future.

Now...I’m not sure what ever happened to that nickel, but one thing's for sure...after that day, all hell broke loose. Prices have gone nuts and I can’t handle it. The damned dog food is crazy expensive. How can the animal crap be anywhere near as expensive as the people food? That’s just insanity at an upper level.

Jeez...the animal food should never be within 50% of the people food and it’s damn near the same thing if you look around. You can easily spend more on a can of beefaroni than you will on a can of dog food. That shouldn’t ever be an option. People food should always be cheaper than dog food. If this keeps up, I’m going to start feeding the dog Chef Boyardee instead of Alpo.

Well, now I have to find something better to do with myself...see ya later.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home