.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Good morning!

As I predicted, there would be some who would accuse me or the people who wrote to me of being racist when I dared to discuss the use of the race card. Note that I addressed simply THE USE OF THE RACE CARD...I made no derogatory remarks toward any particular race. Before I go further, I'd like to run an email that I received as a result of that post:

Hahaha you are trying to prove a point by presenting me with these letters? do you think that when I read "You can hear the, "I told you so's" from everyone who was reluctant to give blacks their rightful acceptance. OR "you can take her out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of her." that you are proving that these people are anything but racist? Look, I am a young black man and I, of all people, have bourne racism of the worst sort. and I am intelligent enough to know that racism has become more polite, more subtle and ever more entrenched. Step in my shoes and see the harrowing effects of the injustice. And in the face of all your suffering and grievance have your protest treated as a mere card that you play in a damn game. You amaze me. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. THE WRITINGS ARE ON THE WALL. If the entire direction of your life, skin color has been THE deciding factor . racism is very real my friend. You would never know what it's like as long as you live nor can you find any reason to empathize since racism is NOT YOUR problem. It also behooves me that you imply that blacks who cry out against the injustice create racists. If you objectify your fellow countrymen and fellow HUMAN BEINGS without any desire to understand them, you are ignorant which=racist. You talk of strides made in favor of Minorities? what strides? You ever heard "money talks and B.S. walks? These amendments are on paper and at the end of the day it is peoples attitudes that decide the course of events. are you kidding? In an age of delegation and beaurocray these decision-makers lack perspective and their souls are secretly as black as a void. What strides? I am young and I am black, what strides? I read these folks like a book, I am Feared. It is emoted loud and clear and despite themselves. people say I am having fun "thrashing about and calling people racist? FUN?!!?? I AM LIVING IN HELL! we must continue to question and hold to court the customs and norms of today so that we can better ourselves or we will create a cycle that paralyzes our evolution as a nation. We must do it for democracies sake and for Americas sake. This Democracy is my last vessel of faith, If I am let down, I will be lost.

Yes, this man has most certainly made valid points. But, I repeat, my problem was with the people who excuse their own behavior by shouting racism. In particular, McKinney's accusation that the officer who stopped her was racist when he was simply doing his own job. I am glad that this man wrote because if we continue to dance around the subject "politely", we will NEVER solve the problem of racism. How can we if we don't have open and honest discussion of such things? That, by the way, if the entire reason that our founding fathers so desired freedom of speech.

I made an observation a few weeks ago that I used to hear the statement, "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death your right to say it." I DON'T HEAR THAT ANYMORE! Rather, when we speak our minds, we are attacked mercilessly and accused of hideous things like racism. How can we EVER end this without the freedom to air our true feelings so that we can learn where all of these angry thoughts come from?

This man is right, I have never walked in his shoes as a black man. But, he does himself no favors by shouting angrily when I try to open the lines of communications. Wouldn't we "feel his pain" and therefore understand what we are doing wrong if he passionately explained what he has gone through and how he has been treated? I think so. If he disagrees, I'd invite him to offer a better solution. Rants and raves do nothing to bring ALL AMERICANS together. We are the most enlightened country on this planet, such as we are, and we CAN learn to understand and get along...BUT ONLY IF WE ARE ALLOWED TO SPEAK OUR FEELINGS so that we can all walk a mile in the other's shoes.

Another comment:

If your objective is to defend YOURSELF from being called a racist, Why does it matter that Mrs. McKinney's attorney called Tom Delay "white boy"?

It does not offend me, I simply find it hypocritical and divisive.

Another response:

I saw a link to your comments about the Cynthia McKinney incident and read them today. I felt that I had to respond. The litigator in me wants to argue with you and attempt to convince you of many things. However, I can tell by the impassioned manner with which you wrote your opinions, that an attempt to convince you of anything will probably be a useless endeavor. I just want to ask one question, really. You discuss at length the injustices that black people have faced in the past, but make no mention of the present. Is it your contention that 40 years of affirmative action has eradicated racism? I am so sorry that you and all the other "decent white people who have bent over backwards" are tired of hearing about race. Consider yourselves lucky that you have the privilege of discussing or not discussing race, of thinking about or not thinking about race. Because I was born a black woman in America, I do not have that privilege. I am constantly reminded that I am black.
Please do not confuse my annoyance with the "tired of hearing about racism" rant with approval of Ms. McKinney's actions. Under no circumstances should her run-in with the police officer have become a physical confrontation. And frankly, I think the whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion and has made Ms. McKinney look rather silly. You and many of your readers, however, seem completely convinced that race played no part in that officer's decision to stop Ms. McKinney. I respectfully disagree with this opinion. I cannot - nor can anyone - say for sure what went through the man's mind when he approached her. However, I can say for sure that as a black female attorney (one of only two at my large law firm) I was often confused for a secretary, a messenger, a member of the housekeeping staff - anything but an attorney who attended top ten schools and graduated near the top of her class. This was despite the fact that in a "business casual" environment, I almost always wore a suit to work. When I asked my white classmates, both male and female (many of whom construed the business casual dress code much more liberally than I), whether anyone had ever assumed they were support staff, the answer was always "no." Certainly, this anecdotal evidence does not qualify as a scientific study; but intelligent deduction suggests that these decent white people who have bent over backwards have trouble wrapping their minds around the fact that a young black woman could be an attorney. Is this the same type of racism that my mother endured as a child when she was forced to relieve herself outside because there was no Colored restroom? Certainly not. Is it still racism? Absolutely.
The above is but one example of the myriad subtle ways in which race affects my life each day. The only difference between Ms. McKinney and myself is that I choose not to lash out physically in response to my experiences. Frankly, there are far more serious racial injustices that occur in America than my being confused for a secretary or Ms. McKinney being accosted in Washington. And that fact is all I hope you will consider. Racism does still exist. I consider the annoyances that I endure to be minor because the fact remains that I have achieved academically and financially to an extent greater than even most white people. Experiences like mine and Ms. McKinney's should not be the examples of racism in America. We only need to look as far as the criminal justice system to see the current and pervasive effects that race has on our society.
I assume that white people are tired of hearing about race because, for the most part, the days of lynchings and cross burnings are behind us. But these are not the only things that qualify as racism. Just because racism has taken a different form in our society does not mean that it has been eradicated, or that it does not still need to be discussed. I am just as sick of hearing white people tell me that racism is dead as you apparently are of hearing black people affirm that it is alive and well. I marvel at how adept we all are at defining someone else's experience in their own skin, at telling someone else what it is like to walk in their shoes. I understand that you and all these other decent, back-bending white people feel that you are not racist. But just because you aren't does that mean that no one is? Does that mean that I and Ms. McKinney and Amadou Diallo and the black guy down the street have not been victims of racism? To make that argument would be ridiculous. I have experienced racism, and so has every single black person I know. So, the next time you feel tired of hearing about race in America, just stop for a moment and imagine how tired we feel.


I never meant to imply that racism was dead. As a Northerner who moved to the South, I know better than that.

Once more, my point was to voice my disgust at the use of the race card. Certainly there are times when it IS the appropriate card, but when it is used to excuse despicable crimes, I find it offensive. I would find it so whether it was a white person or a black person using it. I am just rather ill at being accused of racism when I was raised by parents who went out of their way to teach us that God made us all to be his children and that we should love one another. I take offense for my parents when I hear rash accusations of racism directed at all whites. All of us are not racist as all blacks are not lazy, criminals...or whatever it is that racists accuse them of. I'm going to end this post here and begin another one. Once again, I welcome the debate and I believe that it is the ONLY way to heal the wounds of the past, and yes...the present.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home