.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

I got a call from a pollster...

...and he asked a bunch of stupid questions. One of the questions that he asked was how I felt about the job that our county sheriff is doing. I said poor. That means nothing and they most likely took it to mean that I thought the man wasn't tough enough on crime. That's not at all what I meant. I meant that I thought he should be paying more attention to crimes against persons or property and less attention to people who smoke an occasional joint.

It's ridiculous that I'm a criminal in this state for doing that while in other states, I would be a law abiding citizen who may get a ticket for doing so. There is absolutely no reason for marijuana to be illegal in this country. All of the ill effects that it has on society come from the fact that it IS illegal. If the government regulated it, crimes of all sorts would disappear.

If we took alcohol and made that criminal, I would at least think it fair. But weed is the single least harmful drug that there is. It can be abused as can any other drug, but used responsibly, it is most certainly less impairing than booze. There was a time when I smoked a lot of it and there was a time when I drank a lot of booze. That was a long time ago but I know that I did more stupid things drinking than I ever did smoking.

Smoking weed doesn't make a person sleep with some frog looking dude and it doesn't make you drive your car in the wrong lane of the highway. If I drove while I was smoking and the speed limit was 35...I drove 34.8 MPH. If I was drinking, I couldn't find the speedometer so who knows how fast I was going.

I don't ever want to go back to jail so I won't do anything that will get me there but I must say that it truly makes me ill that if I wanted to smoke a little pot one evening...I can't because I would go to jail. I've started to lose weight again and I know for a fact that if I smoked some of it, I would eat like a pig. That was one of the reasons I stopped smoking it but right now, it would most assuredly benefit me. I would be at home, sitting in my living room minding my own business and no one would be hurt. But, in this state, that's a crime. That's just plain stupid.

There aren't enough drug classes in the world that will change my mind on this subject but I'll go to them and listen to the fools who will tell me that I'm wrong and in denial. I'll do what the law wants me to but I will also speak my mind about this...I still have that right.

As long as people need to go to drug dealers to get the stuff, they will be open to stronger drugs. If you could purchase it legally, that wouldn't be a problem. To say that it leads to stronger drugs is moronic for so many reasons. Of course drug addicts smoked weed at some point, that's what they do. They also drank at one point but we can legally buy that poison and suck it down all we want.

The crazy war on drugs did us no good. There are now stronger and more dangerous drugs all over the place and cops bust you for possession of weed when they used to simply repossess your weed for themselves. Now there's some crazy mindset that refuses to accept weed as the harmless drug that it is while drunks kill people every single day.

The government said that they couldn't legislate morality and that's true. But, they certainly have found a way to make a bunch of cash off of the people whom they can't seem to sway. I see no other reason for the continued criminalization of marijuana than the money to be made by everyone in the crime fighting business and there are more than lawyers out there reaping the benefit from crime.

During prohibition, the government acknowledged that more crime game around from the ban on alcohol...why can't they see that the exact same thing is going on with weed? They can't be that stupid, it's just that crime makes a good profit for more people than anyone realizes until they're labeled a criminal.

So, no...I don't think the sheriff is doing a good job, but I fear that my answer to that effect may very well be misconstrued by the people who want to arrest more and more people and collect the moneys that "crime" brings. The mere fact that the sheriff is an elected official and therefore a politician is scary enough. I'd like to know what HE thinks....it doesn't matter what I think. He won't tell us what he thinks because as a politician, he has to stick his thumb into the political air before he gives us an opinion. Who's doing a better job morally? Not politicians, that's for damn sure.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home