.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Hello,

I am writing this post after the one below it. That post was mainly to allow a couple of people to teach me a bit of how the black people feel. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "feelings are neither good nor bad, they simply are". Therefore, I cannot nor will I argue with their honest feelings because they come from a place that I've never been. On the other hand, I come from a place where they have never been.

I come from a family that went out of their way to teach us that racism was an evil thing and that no true Christian would ever, ever hate another of the Lord's children. I dated a black guy and when he asked me if my parents would be upset about that, I asked my parents. My mother said, "I thought we taught you better than that." When I told my friend, he was honestly surprised. He truly thought that white parents didn't teach their children to be accepting of all people and to judge them on their merits and character.

There truly are white people who are not racist, I think that everyone would agree with that. And I, on the other hand, would not deny that there most certainly ARE white people who are racist. I submit that there are fewer racist whites today than there were 50 years ago. Certainly any racism is too much racism, no matter who the racists are. I have personally been offended by white people using the "N" word in my presence because they assume that since I am white, I must find that word to be acceptable. I do not. It makes me cringe when I hear it, no matter who says it...black or white. I was raised to believe that word to be one of the absolute worst words that could come out of a persons' mouth.

Once again, my problem is not that racism exists or doesn't, it is and has been the use of the race card when it was nothing more than an excuse for poor behavior.

I don't suggest that we pretend that racism doesn't exist, but I do suggest that we ALL try to find a little compassion and fairness in our hearts when dealing with people of all colors.

If we are not allowed to discuss our true feelings, how can we ever put and end to this era in our history? If, as the man says, we "politely" dance around our true feelings, we will get nowhere. I suggest that we should be able to open up, as a society, and once and for all, speak our minds so that our prejudices can be put to rest once and for all. If I don't know what you go through, I can't do my part to solve the problem. So, allow me to speak my true feelings, I'll do the same for you. Then, and only then, will we be able to truly understand each other. We aren't evil people....for the most part. The majority of us are decent people who want to live in peace together. We just haven't been able to find a way to do it yet.

The politically correct rule of our time does no favors for any of us. May we all be able to speak and more importantly, HEAR what we all have to say. And, although it is rarely said anymore, let me say it now, I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home