.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Good morning!

I'm drinking my coffee and reading the news. You know how they are certain pieces of the newspaper that you grab first? Well, I put those things on my computer so that when I sign on, the silly stuff pops up first. One of the things I read before I read the normal news is the News of the Weird.

This morning they mentioned someone who had invented a cannabis that is not mind altering. Why someone would do that is beyond me. I never understood O'Doul's either. Beer doesn't really taste good, why would anyone take the buzz out of the bottle and then sell it?
Hell, why would anyone BUY that stuff? Blech.

I'm thinking about breakfast and what I should have. I think I'm going to make pancakes. You know those blue boxes of Jiffy Muffins? I buy those and make pancakes out of all the different flavors.

When I was a very young wife, I ran out of pancake mix once. I only used it because I learned to cook watching my mother and she used it. I stopped using it after I ran out because I had to look for a pancake recipe and when I did, it had exactly the same ingredients as the pancakes that I made with the mix. The only difference was the pancake mix was a helluva lot more expensive than the flour that the cookbook recipe called for.

If I used the pancake mix, I had to add eggs, milk and oil.

But...if I used flour, I had to add eggs, milk and oil.

That's when I figured out that pancake mix is just really expensive flour. It's even on the side of the box under ingredients. Pancake mix is nothing but 5 different types of flour. Shortly after that they came out with instant pancakes, at least easy enough that you just add water, but when I learned to cook, you only had the original mix. It's amazing what they can get us to pay for.

I see a lot of people paying a lot of money for half cooked bacon. I don't understand that at all. What are we doing with all the time that we're saving? I don't see anyone who has a bunch of spare time now that everything is so convenient. And, if I could, I'd rather use the time cooking anyway. Of all the things to save time on, cooking is not one that I would choose.

I'd choose to abbreviate TV but I guess they can't make TV anymore mindless than it already is.

OK then, pancakes it is. These are a mix too but they come in apple-cinnamon and blueberry. I'm making myself hungry just writing about it. I have a bunch of butter and syrup...that'll be good.

My grandparents had a few businesses and when I was about 2, they had a restaurant in New Jersey. I would climb up on the stools next to the men who were eating their meals at the counter and steal their butter. Back then they served a slice of butter on a little square of heavy paper. Things were nowhere near as convenient as they are now but somehow we got by.

OK then, I should make breakfast and get dressed. I'll be back later.

See ya!

Meg

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cannabis has multiple health benefits beyond mind-alteration. Your Marinol is just one example.

Legalizing medical marijuana would be a lot easier if the medical marijuana did not get people stoned.

August 21, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

If it's taken in the appropriate dose, it doesn't get you stoned. That's silly. Narcotics are legal and they have a side effect of euphoria. There are plenty of drugs that have the potential for abuse and would be a heckuva lot more dangerous than medicinal marijuana. That high hasn't caused one single person to overdose but the same cannot be said for narcotics or amphetamines.

August 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Meg! Your blog is awesome. Being a Marietta girl as well, I somehow stumbled across reference to you at the Square on Saturday. Your experience is a combination of my mother's experience with my dad and mine with my first husband. Thank you!!

August 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home