.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Good morning!

Solaris commented that I must be difficult to watch TV with because of my "chatterboxing" throughout the show. She's pretty much right. I do talk during TV. Naturally, I AM more entertaining than most of the stuff on TV...who wouldn't prefer to listen to me?!

Seriously, I do talk, but only when I see a mistake, someone I worked with before or if I have something to say. Give me a break Solaris...I've been living alone for two years. I rarely have anyone to talk to and when I do...I pity the fool. Hell, I was alone for less that 5 months before I TOTALLY freaked from not having anyone to talk to. When that happened, I began this blog. I had to talk to SOMEONE!!!!

Still, I rarely have anyone here to chat with. Sometimes, I wish I had a neighbor who could come over and chat over coffee. (Not all the time though, I've had some neighbors who wouldn't leave me alone so I try not to get too close to people who live within "dropping by" distance of me.) My son stops by but he's usually in and out of here so fast that I never get to speak to him.

I'm seriously considering getting a roommate again. My father told me about a woman who would search the Want Ads for a single woman seeking a female roommate. When she found one, she would move in and then shortly "out" herself as a VERY annoying lesbian. She would begin doing truly obnoxious things and then, when the roommate eventually evicted her, she would sue the roomie for discrimination. My father represented one of the roommates, not the lesbian. No one cared that she was lesbian, but she made the lawsuits all about that. I get the impression that this was like the situation in Pacific Heights, without the cockroaches and nail gun.

When I was writing the ad for a companion to help my father care for his ex wife, I asked my father if I could specifically request a female in the ad. He said that I could. I didn't know whether I could or not, I thought that it might be illegal. After all, they can't list the Help Wanted by Male or Female anymore.

I bet most of you guys don't even remember when they did that. The want ads were divided into two sections, Help Wanted-Male and Help Wanted-Female. I don't remember when they finally stopped that but I do remember looking for jobs when the newspapers were all like that.

(I also remember when the papers didn't say things like, "A white man raped a woman yesterday..." but I do remember when they would say, "A Negro man raped a white woman yesterday..." If the story pertained to a white man, it didn't specifically say white, but the papers would always let you know the race of any non-white perpetrator. Newspaper people act so above everyone else when they bemoan all the evils done by all the this-ists and that-ists...someone should point at them every so often.)

Anyway, if it isn't illegal to ask for one specific sex in a Help Wanted ad...perhaps I can get picky in my add for a roommate? Ya think?

Do ya dare me to stick this on Craigslist?


ROOMMATE WANTED

I need a roommate to share my 3 bedroom house with me. I need a man who is healthy enough to do lawn work and clean gutters. It would be great if you were a really good painter, but adequate would do. I don't mind cooking if you don't mind doing the man stuff that I hate to do like taking out the trash, killing bugs and going down into a creepy crawlspace and changing the filter on the furnace once a month. Thursday nights I need a ride to a meeting and every so often, I'll be needing a ride to the doctor, the mall or something like that. Every once in a while, I'll be needing a ride to a game of bridge, a bowling alley or some other recreational location where I could have some fun. I haven't been paintballing yet but I've seen it and it looks like fun. I would LOVE to do that. My screwdriver is a butter knife so you'll have to bring your own tools. I have many things around the house that need repairing but you could do them all in a month of weekends. After that initial month of weekends, I would need one weekend a month from you for general repairs and maintenance. It'd be good if you were a cop or an army guy, but just a really, really large man will do. Your presence alone should rival that of my dogs when it comes to burglars, Jack the Raper and things like that. I'll be needing you to watch Jeopardy with me and you must be able to answer a few questions correctly. A very stupid man will do, but he'll have to pay more in rent and do more manual labor. (Sorry about that but I'll be spending too much of my valuable time explaining things to a moron and I must be recompensed.) Arguing is not allowed and all complaints must be presented in writing. No verbal grievances will be addressed. No country music, rap, American Idol, CNN, Mormons or Clintonista's allowed in my house. That goes for you and your visitors.

Actually, I think that if I spent some more time on that ad, I might be able to get a good one up and running by nighttime.

What do you guys think?

Meg

8 Comments:

Blogger Karin's Korner said...

Meg, I think your nuts but that is why we love you and keep coming back day after day to read what you have written.

August 23, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Karin,

I prefer to think of it as "fun to be around"...but I've heard "nuts" before as well.

And, I guess it's the chicken and the egg thing because I come here and write because I know you guys will be here.

:):):)

August 23, 2006  
Blogger Determined said...

I like Karin's comment.

As for you Meg, one of these days, our group is going to crash your house, sit in your backyard, drink cocktails and talk a lot of *bleep bleep*!

August 23, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Well, I'm waiting! By the way, is there a nice single guy in your group?

Meggers

August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg Meg I can totally relate to talking to yourself! Did it, do it, all the time. Never noticed until a person was actually here and kept asking 'what?'. No, I wasn't speaking to them *urgh*.

I like the ad. Yes please extrapolate on it, post it, share with us the results :)

Even while I was married to Contestant #2, he wasn't here much. Once he left for good the men neighbours pitched in by mowing my lawn, fixing my vacuum, and one time even knocking down my bathroom door that I'd accidentally locked and had the bath running! Heck, one husband even helped me change the blade in my razor.

One friend told me that men like to do things for you. So...let them :)

August 23, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I not only talk to myself...I interview myself. I am fascinating and I never know what I'm going to say next.

I am on the prowl for a fixer dude. I'm going to be putting a helluva lot more energy into finding one. Starting this afternoon, I'm on the job. I am going to take a walk around the corner this afternoon to shot a few games of pool. I should be there before Happy Hour and that's when the men all stop in after work. Don't worry, I won't be drinking, just shooting pool. But, I have primped for the past hour and I will bend far over that pool table. When I get back, I'll let you know how it went.

See ya!

Meggers

August 23, 2006  
Blogger Determined said...

Well, now, Meg - it's not really my group. It's just us - the bunch of us loner bloggers... and yes, I'm sure there are gorgeous single men out there - they just don't want to sleep out on the Pull Out Couch.
Wait a second, that was a bad joke.

August 23, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I'd love to have you all over. The back yard could probably accomodate the people who come here regularly. The ones out of the country might have to take a bit of a trip, but I'd love to have them. It'd be BYOB, of course.

Meggers

August 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home