.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I have 2 pounds of skirt steak...

...and a bag of carrots. So, now all I have to do is come up with some new and creative way to cook it. I haven't had a chance to find a new "cook-top" (that's what they call the counter-top stoves like the one that the landlord told me that I could replace with rent money) and when I found the right size, they required a 3 week advance order. If I order one and then find one that I could take home, I will have to pay some fine for canceling my order. But, if I never order one, I'll never get one. So, since I keep procrastinating, that stupid skirt steak is getting cooked on one burner, as are the carrots.

I guess I'll cut them up and make some sort of steak sandwich with them. But, I'll cook it in such a way that I'll still have options...at the last minute I could change my mind and make beef stew out of the steak instead of the sandwiches. So, I still have time to think.

I hate cooking for nobody but if I don't cook something, I won't ever have anything to eat other than Fruity Pebble's and Hot Pockets.

OK, if this is not a new idea, then it doesn't count, but if it IS a new idea, I get credit for it:

It's my new invention. It lets you can small amounts of leftovers so that you don't have to make a lot of stuff in order to can things and you won't waste as much food. It also lets you keep small meals as TV dinners so that you don't have to buy as many Hot Pockets.

I love to cook. If I had the money I would start a business where I would cook meals for working mothers to pick up and take home to their families. I wonder if I could do it out of my house? Ya think?

I have a friend who started baking cakes in her house for her friends and she turned that into a really, really good bakery. She did it after her husband died and she was left with small girls.

I had a lady ask me if I would have rather been widowed than dumped. Without hesitation I said, "Oh, absolutely."

I can understand widowed. That's what's supposed to happen. I don't mean to offend widows or take any of anyone's "victimization" away from them, but I could have handled being widowed much more easily. The insurance alone would have made life so much easier.

So, what do you guys think? Widowed or dumped? Which would you prefer?

Meg

9 Comments:

Blogger Enyo said...

Meg I would much rather be widowed than dumped or even dumper ... but I guess I'd never get away with it.

And sadly IT has the constitution of an ox.

On the other hand were I ever to be in the situation of being saved lawyers fees (oh happy day) I'd still feel inclined to refer to him as my 'ex-husband' because the alternative ('late') might give people the impression that I in some way rued or even mourned his passing.

September 20, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I hear that. Use that term once and someone is apologizing to you, ya poor thing ya...and then you have to try not to laugh. I chuckled when I read:

And sadly IT has the constitution of an ox.

Rick was an ox as well. He will probably end up alone in some nursing home wishing he could screw the nurses but he'll be drooling too much to garner much female attention. I will be cracking up from heaven, I promise.

Meggers

September 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Widowed. Hands down.

September 20, 2006  
Blogger Jaded said...

You need to get a vacuum sealer. I have one and I love it. I can buy big family packages of meats etc., separate it into smaller portions, seal them up and they stay much longer in the freezer with no freezer burn. The thing is, you can do that with fully cooked meals, too. You can cook a larger amount of something, seal the left over portions and either put it in the freezer or fridge and they'll keep longer than in a baggie or something. Mine is called a Food Saver, but there are a number of other brands on the market. You can also get several different accessories for them, but I stick with the rolls of plastic, which I get at Sam's Club, because it's pretty cheap there. My mom got me the whole thing for Christmas last year and I use it several times a week, at least. When you take a frozen, pre-cooked meal out, you can either microwave it, or put it in a pot of boiling water and cook it that way. It's a pretty handy contraption, actually.

September 20, 2006  
Blogger Anne Arky said...

I'm sure you knew my answer before I even thought about posting it -- definitely widowed. Remember, I prayed for widowhood for the last three years of my marriage, though I never had the nerve to commit it myself. I am old-fashioned enough to have gone into my marriage without ever considering the possibility that it might end in divorce (talk about naive!), and to me, widowhood seemed like an "honorable discharge", so to speak, whereas divorce seemed like a "dishonorable discharge".
I know what you mean about crossing the line -- once you cross that line and there are no consequences, it's a lot easier to cross it a second time than it was the first time. Your example of the Anti-Freeze Queen, and our newest local double murderer, Bart Corbin, are proof of that. "Gee, I got away with it once. Let's see if I can do it again." DUH!

September 21, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Jade,

Yeah! That sounds like exactly what I need! So, now I know what I'm going to ask for this Christmas, in addition to the bike that I've been asking for since the mid 90's. I hope I have better luck with the leftover keeper than I have with the bike!

Thanks for the tip. I guess I didn't invent it. Damn. You have no idea how many ideas that I've come up with, only to find out that someone else has beaten me to the punch. Alas.

meggers

September 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you Megger, widowhood is much more pleasant than dumpville. I am one of the lucky ones. My cheating husband did kick the bucket two weeks after I found out about his affair. Looking back now I can't beleive my luck.

September 21, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

One of my co-workers was telling me about this new "dinner service"; I think she said it began in Chicago...you go through the cafeteria style line...like Piccadilly or Morrisons...you pick your food and tell them how much of each portion you want, like a pound of mashed potatoes, a quart of creamed corn, 5 lbs. of baked ham...etc...and they tub it all up for you in plastic containers, you pay at the check out, take it home and either eat it or freeze it...some people get their entire week's worth of dinners! I think it's a great idea...I'm sure it is a bit pricey if you have a large family of all males to feed, but if it cuts down the time to make the food and cuts down on clean up time and the worry about not having anything thawed out, it will be worth it.
I just wonder how long it will take a concept like that to reach the podunks of Alabama...they have something like that here now whereas you go out to the road and scrape up whatever roadkill happens to be there, throw it in a pot, toss in a few veggies and ring the dinner bell! :)
I'm just making fun of Alabama, as usual...but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in this bassackwards state they actually do that. {{shivers}}

Stay cool!

:):):)

September 21, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Anne,

I have never seen as many husbands killing wives as I have since I moved here. I got her right after Tokarz killed his wife and I even met one at a car dealership (he was a used car salesman) and realized who he was as I was shaking his hand. At that point in time, the cops couldn't find enough evidence to bust his ass. I think they have now.

I get the shivering willies everytime I think about shaking hands with a murderer. I don't know how cops deal with murderers and rapists without ringing their necks. As far as I know, he was the first murderer that I ever met...I sure the hell hope he's the last!

Meg

September 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home