.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Years ago...

...when I was working at a drug and alcohol rehab, I heard a patient saying he couldn't be addicted because he wasn't like this patient or that patient. The counselor told him to "Look for the simlilarities, not the differences."

I think that we would all do quite well to do the same thing. I bet that, whatever color, creed, sex or nationality you are, you and I both sat with our jaws dropped, stunned when we saw the planes fly into the World Trade Center five years ago this morning. Do you remember that morning? I bet you do, as though it happened today.

I watched in horror as people ran for their lives through the streets of New York City, the greatest city on this planet, in one of the safest countries in the world. I saw people of all colors and nationalities that day. I remember the feeling that I had that day, I bet you do too. I never stopped to wonder if they were democrats or republicans, and I bet you didn't either.

I went home that day and wrote on a piece of cardboard, "United We Stand". Then, I stuck that on the rear window of my car. Within days, every other car in this country had done something similar. Mostly flags, flags were everywhere. They weren't there simply to express our sadness. We placed them there to show our solidarity as Americans.

As we showed the world how we as Americans can come together in such a time of sorrow, did any of us think about our political views? Did we ask what sexuality the victims preferred? Did we ask what they thought about abortion or if they were republicans or democrats? Nope. We knew that they were our fellow Americans and that was all that mattered. Of course, people from 90 other nations also perished that day, I don't want to forget about them. Let us never forget any of them.

Americans are a special lot, aren't we? We bicker daily about politics, religion, sports...anything that we can argue about. We can bicker as a nation for years on end. The 90's was a contentious decade. We were as sharply divided as we ever have been since the 60's or perhaps even the Civil War. But, on September 11th, we came together and formed the strongest force that planet Earth has ever seen.

Although no one that I know died that day...I cried many times over the things that happened. I cried when I went to bed that night...not being able to get the thought of those buildings crashing down on top of thousands of human beings out of my mind. I cried when I read the book written by Todd Beamer's wife. I cried when I heard about that small group of passengers on Flight 93 who, by then, knew that they were probably doomed. They, strangers before that horrible morning, formed a force of warriors and forced that plane down before it could hit another building. My God...can you imagine what they did for people who will never know where that plane was headed? They gave up their very lives that day, for strangers. Americans are an amazing lot, of that I am convinced.

I could list a thousand differences between Americans...but like the animals that hijacked those planes...those differences will not keep us down. Our similarities form a stronger force. We, as Americans, along with our rights and our lives, form a more potent potent group of humans than the world has ever seen.

The amazing thing is that our spirit has been formed because of a country that allows us to be different if we choose to be. We have the freedom to be whatever we want to be but no matter what I choose to be or you choose to be, we are all Americans and we would all fight for the other without asking what political leanings the other may have. There's no dictator that says we must, in our freedom we have chosen to be one nation and that freedom has made us the strongest nation that has ever existed.

So, we may have our differences, but like a family who bickers at home...we all come together when it matters. It mattered that day, and it matters this day. It mattered when Apollo 13 flew out of control in the skies above us...we didn't leave those men alone and we haven't ever left another American alone when we could help it. When someone told the Flight Commander that, "This could be the worst day the space program has ever seen.", he responded, "Excuse me, but I think it will be our finest hour."

The attack on America five years ago was truly one of the very worst days that our nation has ever seen. But, I think that because of our spirit, it was also our finest hour. Americans risked their lives that day to save other human beings. Is there any more noble thing to do? I can't imagine what it could be. And isn't it odd that the things that cause our amazing strength are such gentle things like our compassion, our sense of decency and our respect for human life? Our common emotions and they have made us an amazing group of people. Along with every other freedom loving nation in the world, we live the most wonderful lives of any other nations. It isn't a coincidence that countries whose citizens respect freedom have such high standards of living. Let that show the world that freedom is most certainly the best idea, because it's the way we were created. We're supposed to be free and when we are, we choose to respect each other and to have the feelings that freedom allows. We share feelings like the common sorrow that we shared on that morning.

Black people didn't save only blacks, whites didn't save only whites and Americans didn't only save Americans. People saved people, that was what the hijackers caused. Not one rescuer stopped to ask what anyone's opinion regarding abortion was or where they were from. When it came right down to it, our differences didn't matter at all. We all came together that day and did what we could to save each other, from wherever we happened to be.

We are Americans...and I think that's an amazing gift, don't you? That makes us more alike than any of us realize. Before you argue with another American over politics or some other silly little thing, remember that you're bickering with a person who, on the worst day in your life, would most likely come to your rescue.

That huge cloud of smoke made us all one color...and it made us all one very strong nation.

United we stand.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

September 11, 2001. I was sitting in Basic Tax, when my professor noticed a comotion in the hallway....we all thought that it had been a terrible accident, until, to our horror, we noticed the second plane hit the Towers. We were sent home. I spent all day on the phone making sure that all my loved ones were ok. The next daay I got a call from a friend who asked me if I had heard from Stevens, I told him I had not. Im the confusion of that day, we had all fogotten about Stevens, who was working at the Pentagon. As it turns out 1st Lt. Brian Stevens was in the section of the Pentagon that got hit, he did not survive. Less than a month later, standing at his grave site in Arligton, I made him a promise...I would never forget...and I will never forget.

To all those who needlessly lost their lives that Tuesday morning, know that there are many of us that will never forget. To Brian, specifically, know that were ever you are, your wife and beautiful 6 year old daughter are fine. She is growing up with a whole bunch of surrogate fathers who talk to her all the time about what a wonderful man you were, and indeed continue to be in our memories. She has the most beautiful blond ringletts and baby blue eyes, she stares at your picture, all dressed up in your dress blues, and says, on occasion, thats my daddy, he died a hero. Whether you would agree with that statement, I know is up in the air. You were doing your job, nothing heroic about it, but that is the way that she chooses to portray you to all those who will listen. Your wife is fine, or as fine as can be expected raising a child on her own, through no fault of yours. She has gotten over the sadness, but I wonder if she will ever get over the hatred she feels for those that took you away from her. We all do our best to help her through the really rough days, although Im sure we all wish we could be around her on those days that are just rough.

I will never forget!

September 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. No truer words were ever written. We are truly one nation, one people.

September 11, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I chose to piblish all of these comments because I love the thought that we are all allowed to speak our minds. We owe that freedom to so many who have come before us and died for the right to express any idea that we may have. To not avail ourselves of that right would be a slap in the face to those who gave it to us.

Although it is truly sad that so many children will grow up never knowing their mother or father because of that morning, I'm sure they'll be fine because of people like Radio Dial Man.

We won't forget, ever. And, may we all have the kindness and patience with each other that Americans are known for.

I can't say it enough, we are amazing people...and when one of us is in need, the rest of us come to their aid. Not a disaster has occurred that doesn't prove that to be true.

Americans come in all colors and creeds. I happen to be Irish and Welsh, others are Italians, Mexicans, French, Germans, Japanese...I could list every country in the world. And, we do celebrate our differences in our own way. But, when it comes right down to it, it's our similarities that make us strong. And one thing that we as Americans have in common is the compassion to remember the victims of that day and to honor them for as long as our nation stands. I have no doubt that we shall do just that.

Meg

September 11, 2006  
Blogger Jaded said...

Wonderful post, Meg. I reposted last year's entry 'cause, well, my story hasn't changed. That day was the defining moment for a generation. We all know what we were doing when the planes struck.

September 11, 2006  
Blogger C... said...

I agree. People for people no matter what our personal opinions because in the end we can't do without each other.

September 11, 2006  
Blogger Determined said...

Meg - excellent commentary!

unfortunately, I got to see everything in person. It was a very bad morning. Besides seeing the fires and the crumbling buildings, we had to evacuate lower manhattan - and there wasn't any transportation for most of us. I walked a very long way home - an otherwise 45 minute commute took me about 6 hours to make it past the pedestrians, crowds, and checkpoints! And I dont' live outside of Manhattan!
What followed was terrible yet. The lingering fires that pushed the burning strange smell all over the lower part of the city - for weeks.. the flyers all over the city depicting missing loved ones..
Occassionally, I still get nightmares about burning buildings.

But the good that came out of it was the spirit, brotherhood and generosity that everyone displayed! We all chipped in to volunteer one way or another.

Those of us who were volunteers at the local police department, were activated as full police officers on that one day! (But it wasnt' as fun as we had anticipated - we had to work very hard.)

Point is that the human spirit is amazing, especially when we realize that we need to put all of our differences aside in order to concentrate on the more important things!

September 12, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Oh man, what a nightmare. My step sister lived a few blocks away and couldn't go home for 3 weeks. It was just one hideous thing after another. But we got by and will continue to. The problem that I see in Iraq is that you can't GIVE something to someone and have them guard it as jealously as they would if they fought and died for it like we did. We can give them all the freedom in the world but if they don't fight for it now, they won't do it later either. We, on the other hand, have formed a more perfect union because we most assuredly were born with a few inalienable rights. I just find it amazing that when a group of people fight for what they have and want to protect it, they will form and alliance if they're allowed to do as they see fit. We saw the benefits of United We Stand. Unfornately, these people don't have a stake invested in that government and culture. We can't do it forever. I honestly believe that Bush should just say, "We win." and send the troops to the Pakistani/Afgan border. Then, when we find Bin Laden, we blow his head off. Then, we do the same thing to the next leader. Ordinary warfare says you don't kill the leaders because there's no one left to surrender. These people will never surrender. Not as long as people like Bin Laden are allowed to exist and spread his filth about killing Westerner's. THAT'S an effective use of our military.

OK, my blowing off steam is done now.

See ya,

Meg

September 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home