.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

I've given up trying to sleep...

...and there's nothing else that I even want to do right now.

If you were at the bottom of a well, would you even want to see the sky? Or would you prefer a shutter that allowed you to forget that the sky is up there? How long would you wait for a ladder , or even a tool, before you just pulled the string that would shut the sky out?

When the sun passes by, is it a cruel reminder of something that you can't have or is it something to aspire to? The warmth bounces off the walls and dissipates by the time it gets to you but the rain falls right smack on your head. There's your answer.

If you stare at the walls long enough you see that they were put there for a reason but who knows what that reason is? What good does the knowledge do? If the walls were built properly, they won't cave in on you. That's good. Or is it?

Contempt is nothing more than the death of hope. Not a seed is left and even if you could find one, it wouldn't grow at the bottom of the well. Too much coldness, not enough light, nothing soft to plant it in. So, why would the sky bother visiting?

Cold dark and hard...and so much useless shivering. Day after day. Cold dark and hard. And more useless shivering. None of the passersby toss a tool down as they peek at you from the sky...to hope for a ladder would be insanity. It's never that easy for anyone at the bottom of a well.

But...you can still see the sky. No matter how hard you try not to look, you can't help but glance at it and remember when it was so much closer. How did it get so far away? It must have happened when you were contemplating the walls.

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

That's deep [no pun intended]; and quite good. I've been at the bottom of that well a time or two in my life. But the human desire to seek the sun is what helps you find the way out.
:):):)

I finally realized that I had to moderate the comments to my blog. I'm such a newbie! I hope you all didn't think I was ignoring you. I was beginning to wonder if nobody cared {{snif}}

Love the pic...sometimes you look like a red-head and sometimes you look like a blonde...you are a real chameleon, my friend! :):)

October 14, 2006  
Blogger John Holland said...

I'd give you a ladder if it would help.

October 14, 2006  
Blogger coconut commando said...

Meg,

When you’re at the bottom of the well, here’s what you do. You reach down a little further into yourself and start working your way up. The rain is there to keep you cool because you’re going to break a sweat on your way out. The sun is there to provide you with the necessary light for you to find you way up. You have to remember one thing, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Good luck!

October 14, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Laureal, well then I expect a few emails in return for all of the ones that I sent you! I wish I had known that you didn't know how, I would have told you.

I guess my hair depends on the lighting, I told a guy I had red hair once and he met me and said, "You're a blonde!" I think they call it strawberry blonde. Whatever...it's not light enough to be blonde, not bright enough to be red and not dark enough to be brown. It's just a mop of hair, and right now it's a ragged mop...I'm headed back to the couch to stare at the ceiling some more.

John, I would take it! But I have a feeling Coco dude is right, it comes from within. I'm still here so there has to be a reason.

Coco...damn you...I was perfectly happy wallowing in self pity there for a while!

But why does it seem like everyone else is already out there?

Hey there, don't be a hero, I'd love to meet you someday.

Meg

October 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home