.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Well...

...I ate a huge bowl of cereal with chopped up strawberries and bananas and then I pigged out on 2 Twix bars. That was enough to put me back to sleep and I woke up in time to find out that I had to work again tonight.

Damn...I had forgotten how tough this work is. I've worked in administration for the last decade or so. This bedside care is not only hard work...it's taxing on your nerves. I was giving plasma the other night and I learned a lesson...if the doctor doesn't order the plasma warmed, I should question that before I give it. They don't give whole blood anymore, they give packed red blood cells or plasma, depending on what the patient needs. This guy had a reaction to the plasma and that freaked me out totally.

It wasn't a typical blood reaction, it was more of a reaction to the temperature of the plasma. He got chills really bad and his blood pressure went way up. That freaked me out so badly that I laid in bed wondering if I should have questioned the doctor before I gave the plasma. I will next time.

I finally saw the article about the guy who the cops shot in the newspaper. So, now I don't have to wonder how many people the cops shoot that we don't hear about.

I won't be working this weekend at all, maybe Friday night but I have been promised Saturday and Sunday night off in return for working daytime on Thanksgiving. I actually like working the holidays, the atmosphere is so much more pleasant than any other time. Everyone who's working is in a good mood and the office types are at home for the holiday so the atmosphere is much less tense.

Tonight I'm working on a unit that has patients who require intensive care for an extended period of time. I've never worked there before so I'm looking forward to the new place.

Man, I can't believe how hard the work is and I can't believe that I did this work for so long without breaking my back or losing my mind. I always knew that the work was serious, but I guess I didn't think about how much I had on my plate when I took over a bunch of really, really sick people. That experience with the plasma was enough to remind me quickly.

Now I'm going to suck coffee for a while and then take a shower and get ready to work another 3 nights in a row. But, this weekend, I'm definitely going to hide out somewhere for a couple of days so that no one can find me. I hope they have internet access whereever I go!

Gotta go shower now, see you later!

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home