.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, December 25, 2006

Dear Meg...

I only wish I could have half of your self esteem. Maybe if I sit here and write it down, I'll find that i have done more in my life than I've been led to believe.

What a great idea! Give yourselves a great gift today...sit down and write a list of the things that you have accomplished and your best attributes. Don't leave anything out, go back to the time you were 7 and just try to remember everything that you've ever done that makes you proud. Ask someone for help if you have to...but do it! After you do, stick that list somewhere and read it whenever you start to feel badly about yourself.

I'm nothing special, just a woman with a blog who has lived long enough to do things that I've always wanted to do. I have done things that I once thought were only dreams, like doing stand up. I always wanted to do it and finally one day...I just did it! I did it for about a year until I got really good at it and just then the cancer hit and Gail Glenn came into my husband's life. After that hideous summer, I didn't have any jokes inside of me. Maybe I'll do it again and maybe I won't. But no one can ever take away from me the fact that I did it and did it well. There are still things that I want to do in my life and God willing, I will someday.

Last night I got the best Christmas present that I could have asked for. I grew up in Chicago and every day as a child, I watched Ray Raynor, Garfield Goose and Bozo. Well, WGN had a two hour special about those 3 shows last night. I sat there, like a kid again, smiling at the things that I watched for years. I saw things that I haven't thought about since the 60's and it made me so happy that I can't imagine anything else that I want right now.

Every Christmas, they played 3 cartoons, "Hardrock, Coco and Joe", "Suzy Snowflake" and "Frosty the Snowman". And, every Christmas for the past 30+ years...I have wished that I could see them again. Last night I did. I remembered the words to the songs and I sat there like a kid and sang them...sitting all alone in my living room. My dogs just stared at me trying to figure out why their mistress was singing silly songs. I couldn't have been happier. I'm sure that thousands of other people around the country watched that show with the same awe that I did. I'd love to hear from anyone else out there who knows what I'm talking about! I thought about the fact that I may never see those cartoons again and it made me a bit sad. But, not enough to take away the joy of watching the show last night.

The program inspired me to have another dream...albeit a silly one...I'd like to be a clown! I'm going to work on my outfit and create a character and a little show for kids and then I'm going to do what I can to do make kids laugh in as many ways as I can come up with. As crazy as that sounds...it also sounds like bundles and bundles of fun!

My father is on his way up here as I type this and my grandkids are opening their presents at home. They'll be here soon to mess up my house in the most wonderful way it could ever be messed up...by opening a thousand Christmas presents. There's nothing more wonderful than having children in your house on Christmas. And having their great-grandfather is just the icing on the Christmas tree! Four generations will be here, all sharing the Christmas spirit and listening to Christmas music. I can't wait. And then, before the fun is over, I will have the privledge of going to work on Christmas and caring for people who are too sick to be at home today. I'll wear my jingle bell earrings and see if I can find another old man to jingle my bells.

Someone thanked me for the past 12 months of the blog. How sweet. But, I have to say that you all have kept me coming back...if you didn't come here, I wouldn't have come either. There have been days that I didn't feel like writing but I knew that some of you would be signing on to see what the newest escapades of Meg were so I trudged over to the computer and wrote for you anyway and I'm so glad that I have kept the blog up. I've gotten more from it than you will ever know. So...many thanks to all of you for coming back day after day. I look at the stat counter and see the same people coming back over and over again and it's for them that I'm here. Many of you have made comments and I LOVE that! But even the folks who just stop by to read are in my thoughts as well. I know there are many of you who never comment but always come to see what's new with me and I thank you all for that. I am stuck in a place in which I have few friends to speak to but you all have done quite nicely as my buddies and the folks with whom I have shared my ups and downs, my accomplishments and my not so proud moments. I'm so glad that you've been there for me to talk to...I don't know what I would have done if you all hadn't been there. So...once again, thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Last night I got a call from one of my very good friends, the lady that I occasionally take care of who is bedridden. She had some bad news...her mother died yesterday. Then she told me that one of her home health workers was the victim of a house fire. She lost everything. She works at one of the hospitals that I work at so I know her quite well. I'm so sad for both of them and it puts things in perspective. I can't be too upset over my silly love problems when there are those who have had such dreadful things happening to them.

But all in all, it's been a great year. I started out on probation and jobless. I spent a couple of weeks in jail early this year and I've had some nasty little bitchy things to happen to me. But I've ended the year with a great job, I'm off of probation and I have some beautiful children and grandchildren. My father will be here soon and I have 5 younger brothers and sisters whom I love dearly. There are many things that I've lost and others that I've never had. But I choose not to think about those things because so many wonderful things are happening to me now. So...as bad as things have been in my life, as usual...life always come full circle and now I'm finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and the silver lining in the cloud that was my divorce. I am now everything that Rick wanted and more. And...I'm so happy and so lucky and so FREE!

Well, it's time for me to set the table with my Christmas china (that I bought last year after Christmas for 90% off!...I do so love a sale!) so I should go now. But not before saying thanks again for the inspiration that you have been to me. You'll never know what it means to me. And..of course...Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukka, Joyful Kwanzaa and love to you and yours! Here's hoping that all of your dreams come true and that you are the best that you can be...through good times and bad, sorrow and joy, with loved ones or seperated from them...you are a gift from the Heavens and may there be many in your lives who appreciate you!

And I would be remiss if I forgot to mention those who are away from their loves ones fighting for our right to celebrate our own personal holidays, our right to speak what we want to speak and the freedom to live a life full of adventure, surprises and happiness. May they all safely return home before the next holiday and may their familes find the peace of mind to enjoy today and the days ahead...and may they all come safely home. I wish for them a quick return to the arms of their loved ones, may that welcome home hug come sooner rather than later!

Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year!

With love and all my best wishes,

Meg

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas America from boxing day Australia..

December 25, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Boxing day...the day after Christmas! Hallo to you!

Meg

December 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home