.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Good morning!

I found my father. Well, actually he called last night while I was at work and asked my son to pick him up this afternoon at the airport. So, by the time I wake up this evening for work, my father should be sitting on my recliner, watching me sleep on the couch.

I do have to work tonight...I wasn't going to, but I realized that if I don't have any insurance next week, I'll have to pay for all of my medicines. The meds alone will be expensive, I know I won't be able to pay for the doctor's visits much less my surgery scheduled for Tuesday.

OK then...what else is new? Oh, I had a patient last night who is almost 100 years old. Her son sat with her all night and this morning when I went into her room to say good-bye to her, a different man was at her side. The man stood up to shake my hand and I assumed that he was the brother but he was the woman's HUSBAND! They've been married for over 70 years. The woman is a bit confused but the husband is as sharp as a tack and he's a spry old man. I couldn't believe how easily he stood up...he was as fit as most 70 year olds. He told me about how they met and how they waited until they were "older" to get married. They married when she was 26...I guess 70 years ago that was considered old for a woman to marry. Once again, it was quite touching to see them together and it makes me feel hopeful for my future but a bit sad that Rick blew our chance to be married for life like that.

So they took care of Saddam Hussein, what do you guys think of that? I was amazed at how quickly they hung the fat bastard. I guess I didn't realize that other countries don't have a thousand appeals that allow convicted murderers to die of old age before they die of rope burn.

I sort of think that we as a nation belittle our own sense of decency by executing people, I don't think that we really benefit much from the few executions that we actually carry out. If we fried them as quickly as Iraq just hung Saddam, it might make a difference. But people probably don't believe that they'll ever really get executed and if they do, they have so long to wait that capital punishment isn't much of a deterent.

My father (who is an attorney) told me that there are 4 reasons that we incarcerate/execute people. They are to punish, to deter, to segregate and to rehabilitate. Capital punishment, the way it's doled out here in America, doesn't really do much in the way of detering. I think that we would do better to just have the respect for life that the murderers lack. Unless we can do it in a more fair and consistent manner, I think that we would do much better just to sentence them to life without the possibility of parole.

In the mean time, I guess that we should just send the murderers to Iraq. With a swift justice system that executes people that quickly, it might actually do some good.

Well, I have to go to bed (couch?) now so I can get a few hours sleep before I have to wake up and go back to work. You guys have a great weekend, I'll be back in the morning if not sooner.

See ya!

Meg

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it ironic, society condems a man to death for condeming others to death for what he believes was "revenge" on an attempt on his life in 1982 wasnt it?
The interesting part for me is since we ( the world) got hold of him has the threat of terrorism declined, hell now its even brighter due to the Iraq war..

December 30, 2006  
Blogger Determined said...

I think it's a beautiful thing when couples remain togethre well into old age...

Now as far as Saddam Hussein, yes, he was an evil man, but my goodness, what a punishment. I hear that he used to liken himself to the ancient King Nebuchadnezzar. I don't know - maybe his punishment had divine origin.

Well, he definitely got hit by the Karma bus big time.

December 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Meg. I really like your blog and try to visit as often as possible.......which is perhaps everyday, lol.
I hope your surgery goes well. Best wishes for your New Year.

January 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg.....
My Wish for You in 2007:
May peace break into your house and may thieves come to steal your debts. May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet for $100 bills. May love stick to your face like super glue and may laughter assault your lips! May your clothes smell of success and may happiness slap you across the face so that your tears be that of joy. May the problems you had in the past, forget your home address! In simple words ...........May 2007 be the best year of your life!!!

January 01, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Thank you!

What a lovely wish for the New Year...personally I wish you all friends like yourselves for the New Year...and happiness that bursts you into smiles that ache your cheeks!

I have a feeling that this year will be a great one...for me, you and the entire planet. I can't wait to see what we are writing about when this year says good bye to us!

Meg

January 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home