.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

First of all...

...frozen White Castle Burgers are better than fresh Krystal Burgers. Of that I am sure. I heard once that those two companies have an agreement that says that White Castle will not sell south of Virginia and Krsytal will not sell north of Virginia. I don't know if that's true or not, but whether or not they have an agreement, that does seem to be the situation. So, as far south as I am, I can't get a fresh White Castle Burger.

I've been eating Krystal Burgers because they were as close as I could get and when I lived in Virginia, I couldn't get EITHER of them...so I was happy with the Krystal's. But, I got a box of frozen White Castle Burgers as a Christmas gift and I just ate two of them. I realized that they were better than Krystal Burgers so I'll probably buy more of those little fuckers. I happen to have a bunch of Duseldorf mustard so I can put that on them and enjoy them to my heart's content.

When I was a little girl, my parents played bridge on Friday nights. When my dad went to pick up the baby-sitter, he would bring home 50 White Castle Burgers (slide-burgers to most people) and I would eat one of them. I didn't eat much as a kid and I was happy with that one hamburger. Those Friday night slide-burgers were quite a treat back in the 60's. I doubt that kids today would be as excited about a big fat bag of hamburgers as we were.

About 20 years ago, I saw a lady on the Donahue Show who had written a cookbook full of recipes for things that you can't buy everywhere but you might really want. One of her recipes was one for White Castle Burgers and although I haven't tried it yet, I still remember it. You mix a jar of liver baby food in each pound of ground beef and then make the little patties and fry them slowly in chopped onions. (I don't remember whether or not she said to put 5 holes in them) Then, you're supposed to take good hot dog buns, cut them into squares and serve the burgers on them. One of these days I'm going to try that.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a show on The History Channel about White Castle and they said that White Castle was the very first fast food restaurant in the world. I didn't know that. They chose the name White Castle and had the places all white because there had just been some sort of nasty beef scare and they wanted people to get the impression that they were clean and healthy. I'm not stupid enough to but that line of crap, but damn, they are some good little burgers. (I told my father that and he already knew it. I had forgotten that he was around long enough to KNOW who opened the first fast food place.)

I've heard some people say that there is no difference between the two chains...White Castle and Krystal...but they are ever so wrong. There most assuredly IS a difference and the difference is that White Castle's are better.

OK then.

The other thing that I wanted to mention was that I was called into work by someone who didn't know about my surgery. I didn't have to go in but they were desperate and I felt up to it so I went in anyway and hoped that I didn't run into my doctor.

I almost wish I hadn't gone in. I was out in the hall and I overheard a tech (patient care technician) speaking to one of my patients. The patient was a lady almost 90 years old and she had an embarrassing accident in the bed. As bad as that was for her, the tech didn't help matters. I heard her say, "You're obsessed with your shit...get your hands away from your face!"

I was livid. I went to get the charge nurse and she got the tech out of my patient's room. The three of us discussed it and the tech actually didn't see anything wrong with what she had said and she tried very hard to defend it. She honestly seemed to think that it was an appropriate thing to say because "She kept sticking her hand in her face and trying to smell it!" I said, "I don't care if she made patties with it and ate it, what you said was inappropriate." Of course I was right...I don't have to explain that to a normal person.

The tech is from some other country, where I do not know...so perhaps she was sincere. Even so, she had to be told that it was wrong and that in America, we try to treat our elderly a bit better than that. If it had been MY mother...the tech wouldn't have a job this morning. She very well may have been wearing the shitty diaper herself.

So, for the rest of the morning, the chick wouldn't touch my patients. Of course, that was just FINE with me...but it did make for a lot of extra work for me. Then, I left work without grabbing my Chinese food that we sent out for and I never got to eat. So, there's a huge box of sesame chicken with an egg roll, fried rice and fried rangoons sitting in the doctor's dictation room. I only hope that it goes to a worthy person.

Anyway, that's why I ended up eating the White Castle Burgers. Damn they were good. I think I'll have another two of them.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do.

See ya,

Meg

By the way...the old lady that I was talking about told me a fascinating story...her brother was in the 101rst Airborne during WWII and he was actually there when they found Hitler and Eva Braun's bodies. The lady was a bit confused and forgetful about things that happened a few minutes ago...but she remembered that story well. I was so fascinated by that woman that I sat on the side of her bed and listened to her tell that story...a few times. She kept forgetting that she had already told me. But, I never got bored listening to her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home