.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, July 02, 2007

I was thinking about something…

…and after a while it really began to perplex me. I wondered how on God’s green earth Rick could do what he did and then leave without an act of contrition in any way, shape or form. I wondered how a man can spend decades with a woman and then suddenly switch loyalties. It’s like having a parent die without a funeral. A life deserves a bit of remembrance and closure …and so did our life together. I never got to cry for us…I was too busy crying for the hideous way that he ended our relationship. I would have thought that we deserved at least one occasion that we both cried over the death of what he promised me. If was absolutely an end to a life.

But it’s as though it never even happened, as though we were never in love. All the times that he looked into my eyes and told me that he loved me were suddenly meaningless because he would never do it again. I feel like I remembered it all wrong. None of it mattered because Rick didn’t ever give me any reason to believe it ever did matter.

I don’t mind that he’s gone, I’m enjoying my life and the lack of a person to whom I must explain things. I’m so SICK of explaining things that I’m really enjoying being alone. But that doesn’t take away the curiosity and the occasional head shake even now, a couple of weeks past 3 years after life as I knew it ended abrupbtly and and cold-bloodedly.

When the pain was still acute I would ask people who had been through the same thing how long it took to get over the ache that you seem to carry wherever you go. One lady said that “You never get over it.” I think she was right…but what I can't get over is the incredulity of my husband's behavior.

One of the worst feelings is the one that leaves you feeling used and discarded. It’s not fair that I put so much of my life into that man and he left me here to rot because he wanted someone else like he once wanted me. How could anyone do something like that to the person that they profess to love “more than anything else in the world”?

I can’t imagine that it’s terribly easy to deal with the guilt feelings that I would suffer if I had treated him so badly…but if he felt any sense of decency he wouldn’t have ever been in the position where I would stand in shock, stunned at the mere idea that he could have it in himself to be so callous. I doubt that feeling ever goes away, it would only get worse because of the effects of time…you seem to remember the good things much more. That just makes it more confusing when you stop to think about things. I probably shouldn’t think about it and now I’ll stop.

Well, my room is starting to come along, I bought new sheets that match the walls. I need a bed and the new furniture but I’ve taken care of all the trimmings…all I need is that big stuff. It is fun decorating and I’m going to go from room to room so I guess I’ll be having a lot of fun in the future…but I’ll be spending a lot of money as well. Of course if Rick had treated me decently it would be much more difficult to enjoy my new stuff…I guess that’s what the alimony is for.

Well, I finally woke up and now I’m going to put those new bedclothes on my bed. That’ll be fun…and expensive. This is fun and I have Rick to thank for making this all possible. If he had stayed with me we would never have shit much less new furniture. I don’t know how he did it but he kept us totally broke. So…all things considered, it’s really not so bad that Rick acted like he did, I’ve raised my standard of living and I don’t have to wonder what I’m doing wrong all the time.

That’s a HUGE increase in my standard of living right there.

:):):)

6 Comments:

Blogger Determined said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 02, 2007  
Blogger L. said...

Meg,
I can so identify with the feelings that you described in your post today...

As I mentioned before, I was in a 31 year marriage....the divorce happened and within 6 months he was remarried to a woman 17 years younger.

The way that I saw things, I had two choices. One was to stay angry and hurting for the rest of my life and the other was to forgive (not forget!)and truly take care of me as I moved on. I realized that he wasn't hurting...on the contrary....he was enjoying his life... so why should I use my energy in this negative way? What was that going to prove? It certainly wouldn't change things.

The strangest thing occurred...I really began to feel free for the first time in so long. I took responsibility for my part in our marriage's decline and forgave myself. I did remember the good times and, I continuely celebrate my two incredibly wonderful sons that came from our union.

Five years later and I am still moving on. It is a process that takes great patience and tenacity...but it can happen.

Of course, I still have those days when something will occur and old feelings will flood over me...I feel confused (what happened?!) and sad...but those days are fewer and farther between now.

Life is not perfect for me, nor is it what I pictured when I married so many years ago... but I have made room in my heart to love again and it is nice to be loved back.

The real winners in all of this emotional change are my boys. They are so much more comfortable seeing both of their parents moving on and finding their own happiness.

So, I guess that I would answer the question, "Do you ever get over the pain?"..."No, not entirely, but it can lessen to the degree that it isn't constantly on your mind...and the life that is to come is full and rich with joy and love despite the past hurts."

Take care,
Grammie

July 02, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Grammie,

I love you and I know that you're right but now I prefer the actual act of hating the bastard so I'm gonna do that for a while.

:)

July 02, 2007  
Blogger L. said...

Hey, I understand. You go girl! You need to do what you need to do....I'm with you whatever road you choose to go down...

You are much younger than I am...you may see things differently when you become an old geezer like me... : )

Have a nice day, Meg!

July 02, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Well if old geezers look as good as you do I'll look forward to becoming one!

Meg

July 02, 2007  
Blogger Lara Croft said...

Meg cos they are selfish bastards, thats how they can "remove" the time spent together, i can think of no other explanation.

July 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home