.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Good morning!

I woke up trying to remember if last night's conversation with my first adult boyfriend was real. It was. I still can’t get over the fact that he’s been looking for ME all this time! I kind of wish he had found me during one of Rick’s affairs…I might have just left Rick if I had known that this one was still thinking of me. Then again, probably not. I keep forgetting…there was a time when I was madly in love with Rick…but there was also a time when I was nuts about this one!

I suppose that I’ll take a while to get over the excitement of hearing from this guy…what a pleasant surprise! Of course, he doesn’t live anywhere near Atlanta so I doubt we’ll be seeing each other anytime soon but it’s just so nice to chat about the 70’s with someone else who was there…with me!

A few years back I ran into another "old boyfriend"…my high school sweetheart. I had been thinking about him over the years as well and wondering what it would have been like if WE had gotten married. I should have left well enough alone. After running into him and having a chat over coffee…all of my fantasies were shot to hell. I couldn’t imagine him when my life got boring anymore because he was still 140 lbs. and 6’4” tall. As we sat across the table from each other, I couldn’t help but notice how narrow his shoulders were. It didn’t bother me in high school…but it did as an adult. I preferred my memories over the reality 8 days a week. My escape fantasy was shot to hell.

This guy sent pictures so I know what he looks like…his father! How odd to be looking at my old boyfriend and see the man who used to frighten me!

Even after chatting with him for over 3 hours…I keep remembering things that I should have mentioned…like the time his parents went to Europe and we had a party in their house. Someone dropped a cigarette in the couch and started a fire on the cushion. We turned them over and hoped for the best. I forgot to ask if his parents ever discovered that bonehead move of ours. Ooh! I didn’t mention one of the times that I spent the weekend at college with him. He was a pre-med major and he had a dissecting kit and a large bag of marijuana. He had a Saturday class and I stayed in the room with the weed and that dissecting kit…I smoked then…and I took all of the tobacco out of my Virginia Slims and replaced it with the weed. Later on, when they had a dorm party, no one could figure out where the “skunk” smell was coming from. I didn’t mention the time that he…and I STILL can’t believe that he did this…put a green dress on because I asked him to. I don’t even know why I told him to do that but I did. Before he had a chance to take it off, the song, “You Are the Woman That I’ve Always Dreamed Of” came on the radio and I laughed and laughed and laughed. Oh! He was with me when we met Bob Hope...and one time when I crashed Wrigley Field and found the Phillies practicing. We have SO much more talking to do.

We mentioned how we both immediately think of each other when we hear certain songs…funny, we’ve been remembering each other over the same songs. It’s so nice to know that there IS someone else thinking about me that I was totally unaware of. Like that list I posted a couple of posts down says, “Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.” He said that he’s been thinking about me before he went to sleep for years. This is just too wild! I am still in utter shock. This is going to be one of those things that I remember for the rest of my life…and I’ll smile every time I do so.

One last thing…this guy is one of the last people around who calls me Margie. That’s what I went by in high school. My best friend and her family call me Margie and anyone else I run into from high school calls me Margie. His voice hasn’t changed a bit and if I closed my eyes and listened to him call me Margie and then continue speaking…I could almost take myself back to 1975 or 76.

You know…it just occurred to me that I mentioned this guy briefly the other day…actually I more or less referred to him:

“…I just got over being sad when I heard my first fiancé’s song from when he was with his previous girlfriend…Happy Together…”

Well…this is the one I was talking about when I wrote that. We also had “Wouldn’t it Be Nice” by the Beach Boys as one of "our songs". Remember the line, “Wouldn’t it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn’t have to wait so long...”? Well, we sure the heck are older…and I don’t think that I’d make him wait very long at all.

Our REAL song...if we had to pin it down was, "Love Will Keep Us Together." Ha. It never seems to...does it? But...I would just love to chat over a glass of wine instead of our usual coffee at Denny's.

Alas, logistics being what they are…damn it.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home