.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Uh...

...I can't believe something that I just heard. For some reason, a bunch of stuff from my past has been popping up lately. You know about my old boyfriend...well, tonight I heard about another incident from the 70's.

One night when I was about 15 years old, give or take a year...my mom made two dozen cupcakes. Apparently, she went into her bedroom and when she came out...two of the cupcakes were missing. My parents weren't the type to let the disappearance of 2 cupcakes just slide. They had all of us stand at the island in our kitchen. It was sort of rounded on one side and that's where all six of us were standing at attention.

My dad told us all to look down and close our eyes. Then he said, "I want the guilty party to raise their right hand and no one else needs to know who it is." No one raised their hand. I certainly didn't...I never touched those damned cupcakes.

At some point my father asked my mother, "Who do you think took the cupcakes?"

She responded, "I think Margaret did it."

My father concurred. He said, "I think you're right, look at the pimples on her face."

Apparently, "If she has a zit, you CANNOT acquit!"

I happened to be going through puberty...so naturally I was a cupcake thief. For some reason that I don't remember now, I thought that my little sister had taken the cupcakes. But, my parents found the cupcake wrappers under my bed. I knew that I was innocent...and, as I said, I "knew" that my sister had taken them. So, I tried to get her to admit it. My father walked in just as I was saying, "...just TELL them that you took the cupcakes!..." My father thought I was trying to get her to lie so I got in a LOT of trouble.

Remember...I had done NOTHING wrong.

Over the years I've told my father over and over again that I never took those stupid cupcakes and every time single time he laughs at me and says, "The wrappers were under your bed!" He thinks that I remember it all wrong. I may have forgotten some of what happened...but I remember that I never took the frickin' cupcakes.

Well guess what? My sister never did admit to eating the cupcakes herself. She has denied it for all these years as well.

Tonight I found out why. She didn't take them either.

A little while ago I was walking through the house and I heard my son laugh...and laugh and laugh and laugh. I should tell you that I've told him the cupcake story quite a few times...that incident has stuck with me for over 30 years and I've been trying to clear my name ever since then. It turns out that my son was on the phone with my brother and he was laughing at what Uncle Mike was saying.

The two of them had been comparing stupid things that they had done when they were younger. My son was listening intently to my youngest brother as he told this story:

"Don't tell your mom...but I let her take the blame for some cupcakes that I took once." That's when my kid STARTED laughing.

Then my brother went on to say that he "grabbed the cupcakes and tried to find a place to eat them". He couldn't go through the living room because I was in there with my sisters. He couldn't go to my parent's room because THEY were in it. The one place that he could safely run was into MY bedroom. He went in there and ate the pilfered cupcakes. When he finished eating them, he stuck the wrappers under my bed. And then, since my room was so close to the back door, he ran out that back door and played with Kevin, my brother who is 14 months younger than I.

According to my son, my younger brother remembered much more than I did about the cupcake incident. He remembered that my father interviewed each of us, one at a time...and when he spoke to Kevin, Kevin said, "I know it wasn't Mike because he was outside with me."

Well...it turns out that it was Mike after all.

So...I have been vindicated. It took well over 30 years to find the justice that I so voraciously sought...but I DID find that justice. I haven't spoken to my father about this yet...I heard this all too late to call him tonight. But...I will be speaking to Daddy Dearest the first thing in the morning.

I HAVE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT I NEVER TOOK THE CUPCAKES...AND...IF I HAD, I WOULD HAVE SAID SO!

So...after close to 4 decades of assumed culpability, I am to be exonerated, excused and...exculpation awaits...I will receive it all as soon as I speak to my father and I assure you and the planets...I will do so as soon as is socially acceptable.

My nimrod of a brother probably won't tell my father what happened...but with just the right persuasion, I'm sure that I can get my son to repeat the story for D.O.D., (Dear Old Dad). My father will have to face the facts...he falsely accused, condemned and "severely punished" me for something that I DID NOT DO! And he's an attorney!

Yuch, yuch, yuch!!!

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home