.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Good morning!

I just got home from work while the rest of you are going into work. It was my first night back since the vacation and luckily, it was a great night. I go from hospital to hospital and then from unit to unit so I work with a BUNCH of different nurses. We all work for the same company...but I work for the agency, most of them work for one of the individual hospitals. It's interesting how different the cultures are at each of the different hospitals.

In the first place, the hospital that I worked at last night has a much more pleasant culture in general. In the second place, the unit that I worked on was full of extremely pleasant and helpful people. It was such a nice surprise. I haven't worked with a group as good as this group in forever. I actually don't remember the last time I did. It would be the type of atmosphere that would make a nurse really want to come to work.

The patients are certainly the reason that we are there but the people with whom we work make a huge impact on whether or not we enjoy our jobs. Working with miserable, back stabbing and gossipy females makes me dread going to my job. It's total teamwork so it's really important that you feel good to be around the people that you work with. Last night, everyone got their job done but they all did it with smiles on their faces. I couldn't help but think that the patients felt that too.

Ordinarily, you would have to slack in your job to enjoy it as much as we did last night. Every nurse that I worked with seemed to be genuinely having fun doing their jobs. That's not easy to find. The smiles were so ingrained on their faces that they couldn't have wiped them off when they walked into patient's rooms.

It was a great place to work and if I HAD to be a patient, that's where I would want to be. Can you imagine having nurses who really enjoyed their jobs? You don't see many of those and there was a whole group of them there last night. I hope that I get to go back soon.

Oops...I forgot the rest of this post...LOLOLOLOL...I am one tired nurse. For those of you who missed it, I just posted a half done post with no good-bye or eat shit. Sorry about that. I think I'm going to make a video thingie....I don't know what to call them now. The kitchen light is out and there isn't a man around to fix that right now but there should be before the day is over. The reason that I'm telling you that is that I will be all Smurfed out on the video. I don't know why...I guess it's the light from the monitor...but whatever, I'm blue.

OK, I'm gonna go make that thing now...I'll be right back with it.

Meg

OTAAAAYYYY!!! Here 'tis!

http://flixn.com/play/45e5lr/

Meggers

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the ICU after complications from a surgery about 2 years ago...and the staff was horrid. Would clean up my blood and then touch everything in the room. I got a staph infection as well. Not the bad kind, thank goodness. I finally had my daughter stay with me during the day so I would get proper care...and she was 17. But she was better than any nurse I had during my stay.
As for the guy that listened to your voice on the machine...I have done that to a guy I liked (knowing it was sooo junior high to do)...and I never stalked him. For me...it was shyness...just easier to talk to the machine than to him in person.

Tracie

October 29, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I understand what you're saying but this guy isn't shy...he wants to talk to me. He just couldn't because I was at work. Had I given him that number, I am quite sure he would have called there!

Sorry about your hospital experience, I've had rotten nurses myself. I think I learned more from that experience (being a patient) than I ever did in college.

Meg

October 29, 2007  
Blogger Jaded said...

Hmmm, maybe you could get your son to record your answering machine message until this guy gets the idea to back off!

The worst care I ever received was when I was in the ER passing a kidney stone AND having a miscarriage. I didn't know I was pregnant, and the nurse came in, sat me in a wheel chair and said "You're pregnant and having a miscarriage, you can't stay in this room." He then wheeled me into the hallway where I sat for more than an hour. When my sister chased down another nurse to get me some help, she just said "She's not my patient" and kept right on going. It was a horrific situation just because of what was happening, but during a miscarriage, certain things happen which also make it a very messy situation, and I just had to sit in the hallway until my husband, sister and I made enough of a scene that they moved me into a cubical. It was quite the nightmare.

By contrast, the best nursing care I got was in a much bigger hospital that's part of the University of Penn. I needed an emergency C-section, and the nursing staff couldn't have been more attentive, supportive and positive. I was shocked that the treatment was so much better in a bigger hospital. I would have thought it to be the other way around because there are fewer patients. Go figure.

October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why you so in love with JD huh? Why you so in love? Why you so in love with JD huh?
Apologise to JQ75 NOW!!!!

October 29, 2007  
Blogger akakarma said...

Congrats on your Courageous Blogger award! Well deserved!

October 30, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Aw, I'm not so courageous, I'm just too stupid to be afraid.

Now I see why my patients think so highly of me. If these stories are any indication of what nurses act like, I must be a GREAT nurse. I have NEVER said, "That's not my patient." I would tend to whatever I'm asked, even if I have to say, "Right now I'm taking this to someone, when I'm done, I'll be right back." And..then I DO come back. Hmm, maybe I should write something about hospital nursing, I've written enough about nursong home nursing...let me suck a quart of coffee and then I'll do that.

Meggers


JD...why do you always pretend to be an illiterate jack ass? Just comes naturally, huh?

October 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home