.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Good morning!

Anyway, I think it's morning. Once again it's dark out but 'Fox and Friends' is on so I guess this is morning. And what does everyone need first thing in the morning? A nice optical illusion to get the eyes twirling. A friend sent this to me (along with a bunch of others) and I thought this one was cool (if the writing is too small, just stare at the 4 dots in the middle of the thing for about 30 seconds and then look at the wall.):




Who did you see? I saw Jim Morrison.

Did you guys hear about the lady bus driver who duct taped a couple of kids' hands together? One of the kids was her own so she was certainly fair in her dispensation of discipline. The kids were out of control so she took the little darlings who wouldn't "Keep their hands to themselves..." and taped their own hands to their own little laps...not each others.

Then, after a few minutes, the woman told the kids to, "Undue yourselves and to 'KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELVES!" The two munchkins could have undone themselves at any point. But they didn't. Perhaps they didn't listen to the woman asking, pleading and then finally scolding...but once she did something to get their attention...they kept their hands to themselves when they could have easily continued to disobey the adult in charge.

That woman apologized on national TV today. Isn't that ridiculous?

God bless her. She works with children all day long, 5 days and week at work and EVERY SINGLE DAY at home. Have you met a child? Those little hellions will drive you nuts when they're being good. If they're not...you can get a little batty. If you're trying to keep them alive in one of the largest vehicles on the road...you need to keep control over the kids. I mean you REALLY need to think about driving. You don't have time to be hollering at kids who are acting a fool and ignoring you because you can't do SHIT and they know it.

If the woman had lost control of the bus instead of those 2 kids...we would have found something to charge her with. What the hell was she supposed to do?

I taped my kids once. I had 3 under the age of 7 and they were running around like a bunch of heathens. (I would have said Indians but that would have been politically incorrect.) Anyway, I got some tape, I don't think it was duct tape but it was good tape...and I sat them at the kitchen table. Then, I taped their little mouths shut. I'll never forget the looks on their faces as they sat there with that stupid tape on their mouths. Those were 6 wide eyes staring back at me.

Luckily, even IF that was a crime, the statute of limitations has run out on any child abuse charges that I might have incurred over taping lower lips to upper lips. Those kids were lucky. I wouldn't have disobeyed after the first warning because to have done so was to ensure "severe punishment". As I said, my parents were allowed to hit...and they did. Well.

Anyway, I like to think that I made the punishment fit the crime with my kids.

As annoyed as I was the day that I taped the sweet things, I would have been enraged if it had happened while I was driving. When the kids were older than babies but younger than smart people, they sat in the back seat next to each other. We didn't care about car seats back then. My "car seat" for newborns was a pillow on the front passenger floorboard.

Anyway, if the kids started going nuts in the car as I was driving, I asked no questions and took no prisoners. I was an equal opportunity crazy lady...I would just keep my eye on the road and hit whoever I could safely reach. I didn't care if they were innocent or not. I think I proved more of a point in my little boot camp by having the kids lean on each other a bit to help "teach" the unit a lesson or two.

There was another mother on the news today who went on strike. She has 4 teenaged boys and she couldn't get the authorities to help her so she left. Makes sense to me. I'd have gone back sooner or later but I can envision a point at which I might try leaving a bunch of teenagers alone overnight. But, these were no regular teenagers...they assured themselves a good start on a long road of police encounters.

So, when the mother came back, they arrested HER.

When I think of why I tried to be good when I was good, I think of my father. I knew his rules...he made no secret of them. Occasionally I would make a bad judgement call and get myself in trouble, but usually it was for doing something that I knew I shouldn't have done.

When we got spanked, it wasn't by some out of control maniac, it was worse. It was by a man who knew exactly what he was doing. He sat on his chair reading the paper and his eyes would never look up as he told me to go and get the belt. I'd assume the position and he took a few licks. Then, he'd pick up his newspaper and walk back to his chair.

He would have made a great bus driver.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home