.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

I'm back...

...and I didn't have to testify because they got a continuance until April so I can forget about that for a while.

While I was sitting in court, two things occurred to me. First of all, there were a LOT of defendants in that courtroom. The judge called 120 of them and then left while the prosecutor made "deals" with willing defendants. The case I was there for was number 164 but we left the courtroom while the first group were making deals.

I had to wonder how much cash it would take to get one of those deals? I'm quite sure that a conviction costs a lot...before you even discuss jail time. Criminal activity is quite the lucrative business, everyone has their hand out when people are trying to avoid so much as one day in jail. But I'm sure that if the "crime" is expensive enough, the prosecutor is happy to plea it out.

The other thing that occurred to me was that the lawyers are getting younger and younger. They look like last week they were the class nerds and this week they're defending the kids who picked on them.

I was just listening to Puff the Magic Dragon. I don't get something. I keep hearing that the song is about smoking weed but I don't see it. Where's the reference to herb there? Jackie Paper went away because he grew up, right? Or did the lad just stop smoking pot altogther and Puff, as Jackie's weed dude, become depressed? I just don't see it. I do feel badly for Puff...the magic dragon, not the dealer. If anyone understand how that song relates to toking...let me know. I've listened to the stupid song straight and I've listened to it high. I just don't see it.

Someone asked how to download the playlist onto his own computer and I don't think you can. I think that's the point of playlist.com . They want you on their site. I don't think you can download much free music anymore at all. I have some on iTunes but I never tried to download it onto a disc. I could...I just didn't. On top of that, I haven't been able to get any songs added to the iTunes list lately. I just stopped trying.

I don't mind listening to the computer so I can just go to the playlist and click below it where it says Launch Standalone Player. I listen to it that way all the time. You can even go and make your own playlists there. It's pretty cool. I stuck them here because I know where they are, I don't have to go anywhere else. Most any day, I was headed for my computer and this blog anyway.

I wonder...if we'd have had computers when I was a kid would they be used as punishment? My bedroom was supposed to be a punishment but it was one that I enjoyed. When I was a kid, I had all my toys in my room and when I was a bit older, I had a TV, radio, record player and a phone. It was all that I could do to withhold my glee when I was sent to my room in place of a real punishment. Of course, being a parent myself, maybe my father didn't care what I was doing as long as I wasn't doing it in front of him. It's entirely possible that he just wanted me out of his face.

I guess that must have been it. If he wanted to punish me, he would threaten "severe" punishment. In my house, being severly punished involved a belt. I even had to go get the belt myself. That was interesting. Suddenly I was Einstein trying to figure out the pain factor based on the surface area on my father's old '60's belts as compared to the larger surface area of his more recent '70's belts. The '70's belts would hit more of me, but the '60's belts had more of a snap effect.

I stood there for a long time trying to solve that problem more than once. My father was nothing if not patient whilst letting me think that one through. I had to come back some time, and I had to have a belt in my hand. And knowing him, he wouldn't have appreciated the humor had I brought him the belt to his terry-cloth robe.

We couldn't call the cops back then. Well, we could have, but it wouldn't have done a bit of good. It just would have added insult to injury. In a small suburb like that, everyone knew everyone and had I called the cops, they would have just watched and ate popcorn. Then, afterwards, when I past them on the street, they would snicker at me for being so foolish as to invite an audience to a spanking.

I was born at the worst time...my parents could knock me around but by the time I had my kids...I couldn't hit anyone. That's just not right. I should have had my spanking rights grandfathered in or something like that. It's not fair that I should be the last one kicked in a very, very long line of kickers.

Oh well. I have to go do something. I haven't figured out what it should be, but I should do it.

See ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home