.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Do any of you...

...remember Clutch Cargo? It was a cartoon from about 50 years ago and when I was a kid, it was quite exciting to watch all of the exciting adventures of "CLUTCH CARGO....and his friends Spinner and Paddlefoot". This was well before Star Wars and cartoons apparently weren't as easy to create for some people so they just took pictures and put real mouths in the faces somehow to make the animated characters speak. Here is an example of the kind of stuff that interested, even amazed me when I was a kid:




Not quite Disney, but it entertained millions of Baby Boomers back in the olden days.

Another kiddie show that I loved when I was a kid was Diver Dan. Diver Dan dazzled me because I could never figure out why Minerva's hair didn't get wet even though they lived under water. I remember being 5 years old and staring, wide eyed, at this marvel of special effects:




I watched that last night and I finally figured out how the lovely Minerva kept her hair so nice. That's good, one less thing to wonder about. I finally cleared up a decades old mystery. Ta-daaaaaa!!!

That was a completely different world than the world we live in today. The only "bad" stereotype that Arabians and Iraqi's had was that of being people who would sell you lamps with genies in them for a few dinars in the shadows of some local bazaar.

The only real enemy was Russia and their nuclear bombs. But those weren't the BAD nukes...these were the kind where you could keep safe by crouching under your desk at school. Just ask all the teachers that conducted the air raid drills by having all of us wee ones hiding under our desks in case they dropped "The Big One" on our heads.

Those drills used to give me nightmares. I had one where the world was going to end (The world was "going to end" often in the 60's) and all the Mommy's would lock the kids in their caskets and the bosses would lock the Daddy's in theirs. I don't know who locked up the Mommy's and the Bosses...I think they locked themselves up. I remember that nightmare as vividly as if it had happened last night. Luckily, I remember very little about the nightmares that I had where Rick was cheating and I would wake up hitting him. (And to think, I was so apologetic for that! My dreams were trying to warn me. Damn it, I should have listened to them and beat the hell out of Rick.)

Oh well...if nothing else in my life is better now, I do NOT have nightmares. There are no evil commies out there and Rick isn't lying next to me...full of more secrets than a teenaged girl's diary. My fears are more easily handled these days. I don't take nearly as much Xanax as I did for the first year after Rick left. The cancer alone had me scared shitless, Rick's lack of the ability to "man up" was just the fait accompli. Oh well, as I said, no more nightmares.

The dog who is currently licking his balls is the reason that I can sleep at night. As a single mother and a new divorcee, I had to sleep on the couch. When the kids were little, I had to sleep between them and the doors. When I was alone I had to sleep in a room that I wouldn't be trapped in and on a couch that wasn't a lonely big bed that Rick entertained in. Nowadays a behemoth of a dog sleeps between me and the doors. And I have a new bed. None of the memories of that bed include Rick, much less his demimondaine. Sweet.

Oh, I also found another cartoon that I had TOTALLY forgotten about. I haven't thought about The Funny Company since 1966 or somewhere close to that. If I hadn't found it on YouTube, I would have gone to my grave never thinking about it again. But when I started this video, I remembered every single word in the song that the kids sang:




The mind is an amazing thing, isn't it? I wish I had access to all of the other pleasant memories that are locked up in that brain of mine.

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home