.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

McFly is getting better...

...but last Stewie got sick.

As I was leaving for my pool league, I was making sure that all of the animals had food and water. I had been calling Stewie earlier to give him some treats but he never came. That didn't worry me, sometimes, if he's found himself a nice cozy hiding place, he won't come when you call him. So, I just finished getting dressed and forgot about it.

My sister was here (she was going to take me to pool since I STILL can't drive my car at night...no tail lights), and between all of the commotion in the kitchen as I was getting ready to leave and filling food bowls, Stewie came into the kitchen as though he was paralyzed from the waist down. His back half was twitching on it's own and the rest of him was twitching too.

The emergency hospital is NOT the one where I took McFly because they don't have an emergency room at night. But Stewie went to the one that my vet sends animals to when their office is closed.

The problem seems to be the flea medication that I put on them Sunday. I saw Payton scratching and I cannot ABIDE knowing that there are creatures on my animals! I would have gone to the vet to buy something but it was Sunday so I went to Kroger and bought some of that over the counter CRAP that I didn't even expect to work but I had to do something. I used it all so I threw away the box. I couldn't tell them and I can't tell you what it is but I'd recognize it if I saw it so the next time I go to the grocery store, I'll look to see what it was. Last night the vet said that they see this occasionally with one particular brand. I bought the one that was priced in the middle...I didn't want the cheapest one and I really couldn't afford any of it, but I had to do it so I didn't get the most expensive one either. I DO remember THAT brand...it was Adams.

That's NOT what I bought...I wanted it though, I figured that you get what you pay for and I wanted something that might work. So, I got one that was priced in the middle.

Anyway, they said that Stewie would have gone into full blown seizures if he hadn't gone to the hospital. They gave him some Robaxin (the same thing McFly is getting) and a bath to get the rest of the stuff off before more was absorbed. I guess it took 2 days for enough poison to absorb into their skin to do the damage. Stewie is smaller but McFly is much, much older...almost 10. Stewie isn't quite a year and a half old. They wanted to keep Stewie overnight as well but when they said that it would be $700, my sister actually started talking and we ended up not paying a DIME!

That hospital was Town and Country Veterinary Clinic on Gresham in Marietta, sort of behind the Big Chicken and a few blocks over. They knew that I already had one cat in the hospital that I can't afford to pay for so they did the best they could (Which turned out to be enough, Stewie is hungover from the Robaxin but that's a good thing. Other than that he seems fine. I don't know if it was his age or if he didn't get as much in his system, but he never got as bad as McFly.) They didn't have to treat the cat gratis. SO many places wouldn't have. You could rip a page of vets out of the yellow pages and you wouldn't be able to find a professional as compassionate as these ladies were.

At one point they were going to have me sign a promissory note (which I would have been happy to do) and that's when my sister started talking.

The Veterinary Clinic on Roswell Road in Marietta, the place where McFly is, did save his life and they are taking good care of him while I haven't yet given them a dime. But I have a feeling that when McFly is out of danger and ready to come home, they'll want all of it. I usually do pay all of it when I take the animals in but I haven't been this broke since right after Rick left.

Anyway, Stewie is fine and McFly seems to be getting better so I'm just going to think about that for now.

When Stewie got home from the hospital, Payton was checking him over really, really thoroughly. He's still doing it only now he's not so much worried as he is affectionate...just like a person would be after a disaster. I taped him sniffing Stewie and laying his head on him as if to say, "I'm so glad you're OK!". It's so cute. I have to get a new mic so there's no sound here, but you don't need it:



1 Comments:

Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Ummm...sorry about the boob thing. I'll make a new one if I can ever find Stewie again.

August 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home