.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

If for one minute...

..I thought that government funded health care would help the insane state of medical care in this country, I would be all over it. But I rarely believe that the federal government is the answer to all of the ills of society.

Over the past 3 years, I've been having strokes and seizures, mostly caused by an aneurysm in my brain. When I would suffer a stroke or seizure, I would go to the ER, of course. If I was lucky, they would keep me for a few days but do nothing except control my pain.

Fast forward to this past December...a small brain bleed sent me to the hospital again but there was one HUGE difference...I NOW AM INSURED!

So, what does an insured person get that uninsured people do not get? First of all, they decided to stent and coil the aneurysm that could have killed me anytime should it have blown. Not only that, I had consults of all kinds, from docs to physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists.

I needed NONE of them. I got rid of the physical therapy by traipsing through the hall on the floor where I was, I got rid of the occupational therapist by getting dressed by myself and the speech therapist was the easiest of all. I simply said, slowly and clearly, "I do NOT need a speech therapist. I can use smaller words if you don't get it." She couldn't leave quickly enough.

Not only was I eligible for every possible service IN the hospital, they decided that I needed home nursing so now a nurse comes by once a week to take my vital signs which my friend could do just as easily. The entire first visit consisted of taking my vital signs which took 3 minutes. The rest of the 45 minute visit was nothing but a nurse gathering my insurance information.

Anyone of my seizures or strokes could have been fatal yet the repair of the aneurysm wasn't worth attempting until I was insured. After 3 years of living with numerous neurological deficits such as stuttering, double vision, a numb face and loss of balance, the only symptom that got my problem fixed was insurance.

Now THAT makes me ill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home