.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Uh Oh.

Hang up calls already. I appreciate a good joke as much as the next guy, but please, use some creativity. Hang up calls? Too easy, I prefer prank calls that have had some thought involved. Take my word for it, you can have all kinds of fun using your phone AND your brain.

A long time ago, maybe 15 years back, I was getting hang up calls and I didn’t know where they were coming from. I had no enemies that I knew of and most of the people I know are smarter than that so I was baffled. The calls started when Rick left for work and continued until right before he came home. This was about the time that they came out with call back features. I subscribed to the call back thing and called back the hang up call. It was Rick’s ex wife! I hadn’t even considered that possibility. I HAD to get back at her as I was very young then.

So, I had her phone number changed to a non-published number. One morning she awoke to her mother banging on the door and asking, “Why didn’t you give me your new number?”

The part I am sorry to have missed was the part where she called the phone company and said, “What is my phone number?” She had to go to the phone company and show ID to get her own phone number. I smile just thinking about that scene.

About 25 years ago, they came out with three way calling in my area. One day I decided to call two people and connect them (you just call one of them, click over, call the other one quickly, click again and wait for them both to answer.), then just sit back and listen to the conversation. Eventually, someone would say, “So, why did you call?”

Naturally, someone always responded, “I didn’t call, you called me!”
Then they would both say something like this, “Ooohh! That’s spooky.”

At first, I hooked up people I knew. I hooked up my high school sweetheart with his best friend. That was fun. Halfway through the conversation, after the “Why did you call?” and the “I didn’t call.” part, I made a clicking sound and said, “Hello?” We all spoke. Luckily, they hadn’t said anything nasty about me. They wouldn’t have, I didn’t meet any really nasty people until I was 24 and I was only 21 at the time.

After a while, I ran out of people who knew each other so I started using the phone book to find John Smith Jr. and John Smith Sr.

The only thing I felt bad about was hearing this, “Mom, it’s Grandma, she SAID she didn’t call!” I hope I wasn’t the cause of any clinical admissions.

So, you see, if you put some thought into it, you can have all kinds of fun with the phone. But to just hang up on someone? C’mon, you can do better than that! Can’t you? Personally, I haven’t harassed anyone by phone since the 80’s. I think you can get much more creative and have much more fun now that we have the internet. Don’t you?

Meg

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dated a guy in high school who took great delight in answering the phone, "Logan County morgue, you stab 'em we slab 'em".
My husband answers tele-marketer calls in Spanish and if they speak Spanish he switches to Russian.
If I have time, I start asking the tele-marketer personal questions.
Last time I had a heavy-breather call, I told them they were getting me hot and that I was getting my vibrator. I then laid the phone next to the blender set on high until they hung up :o)

March 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home