.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dear Meg,

I thought for the longest time that there was nothing more vile than pedaphilia, but then I began to think....pedaphilia is a symptom of something that is deeply wrong with the man, and it is, beleive it or not, a cry for help. There is no excuse, I am no trying to defend his actions, I am trying to defend his illness.

That comment really made me think. Should we be concerned about a man who "has" pedophilia? I don't know. Perhaps...if we want to treat him and protect other children in the future.

Unfortunately, whatever you think about the problem of pedophilia, this particular situation has been politicized and will be used by some very twisted politicians in the upcoming election. I find that to be hideous. They will use this situation as though it were some silly tax issue and not for what it was, a dreadful situation for all involved.

My mother would have been with the person who made this comment. At her funeral, I thought to myself, "If I ever want to know what to do about any situation, I should think, What would mother have done? and I would know the right thing to do." Oddly enough, my mother was a politician. If anyone out there has any reason to go to the DuPage County Courthouse in Wheaton, Illinois, go and look at the plaque that has the names of the board members who built the courthouse and the jail and you'll see my mother's name, Barbara Broderick.

She was the type of person who saw every glass as half full and every criminal as unloved. She probably had something to do with the "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" commercial back in the 70's. I miss her something awful but I miss the way she thought even more. I wish I could have the heart that she had, I would be a much happier person. She never said a bad word about anyone. Ever.

And yet she still won elections. I don't know if that means that it's possible for someone to be a decent, loving person and still hold office or if it means that they don't make them like that anymore.

She was never, ever partisian, she wouldn't have known how to be. Henry Hyde was a very good friend of hers and she was very upset when people said negative things about him during the impeachment. He was a very kind man, I remember him coming to our home at times. Now that I think of it, he IS the one person that I can think of who cheated on his wife and then learned the error of his ways. He cheated on his wife in the early 60's, she forgave him and they continue to have a happy marriage until today.

Unfortunately, all that seems to be coming out of this situation is that the democrats have an issue to use in the upcoming election. They have finally found something to talk about besides, "Bush lied, kids died."

I have a hard time listening to the people that I voted for because they don't seem to have anything to say apart from negative things about others and I don't want to hear that...even from my own candidate. I may agree with one particular person but if they use negative campaigning, I won't vote for them.

I don't know if I could think about a person in a kind way if they were the type who preyed upon children. I think that most of us have a strong urge to protect our own children and when an adult does something to another person's kids, we feel angry because we think of the safety of our own kids.

But, the bottom line is that we don't know enough about this situation to comment in a harsh way. There is so much to learn about what really happened and that's why I agree with the woman on TV last night who said that we should just sit back and wait for the FBI to investigate this entire situation and find out what really happened. Unfortunately, there are too many people who would rather use this to their own political advantage in the mean time. I don't know which is worse, the person who preys on children or the people who are glad to see it becuase it means that they might win another seat in the next election. And yes, I think that there are some people out there who saw this story and jumped up and down with glee because they finally saw a situation that they could use to their own advantage. That sickens me.

And then, to hear about those little girls in Pennsylvania, I'm actually glad that my kids are grown up. I can't imagine what I would do if they spent their days in school nowadays. I would feel a strong urge to wait outside of the school, guarding the doors with a few other mothers. It's too bad that the jack ass politicians can't figure out a way to politicize that situation. I'm sure that a few of them tried to find an angle that they could use...maybe they will before it's all said and done.

My dogs are outside barking up a storm so I'm going to let them in and feed them. I have a few things to do and then I'll be back after a while. Have a good morning!

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home