.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I called my supervisor...

...and told her that I was ready to go back on the schedule full time. I may regret that soon, but I do love my work. I've had jobs where I would wake up and start scamming a way out of work while I was in the shower. This job is great, I never know where I'll work next and I've had enough experience to go pretty much anywhere in the hospital. One of the nurse managers did put me on her schedule 3 days a week so I will be working on that unit quite a bit.

They have different levels of pay scales at my job, your pay is based upon the hours you commit to working. I had been working the top number of hours for the 2nd lowest level of pay because I was afraid to commit myself to too many shifts. This time, I'm going to go straight to the top. I figure that would at least pay for my taxes. It's amazing how much they take out.

After the holidays I went to working only the hours that my contract said I had to so that I could slow down for a while. Now I have and the weather's nice so I'm going back to busting my ass. At least I'll be working nights. That's not as easy as it could be, but it is easier than working days when the docs and the bosses are all over the place.

If I can, I'm also going to go back to school soon. I may start this summer or next fall for sure. I'm pretty degreed out in nursing so I may actually go to law school. I was discussing that with my father. I love having a goal like that...it keeps me going when nothing else will. That's how I went to nursing school with 3 pre-school aged kids. People used to ask me how I did it. I would say, "I just put on the blinders and do what needs to be done."

Remember when I said (a few times) that I accomplished more as a single woman than I ever have as a married woman? Well, I'm going to do that again. I don't know how long I have to do it but I'm gonna give it my best shot. I'd have some help from family members, my father was an attorney, my son and my brother are both in law school, there are enough lawyers in this family to defend the mob. We could form a small law firm just with the family alone.

They say that living well is the best revenge...which is true but I think that they should add "great success" to that old adage. By the time I'm finished, I'll be doing so well that Rick will wonder how he ever got a woman like me in the first place. He's a nice guy (now that I don't expect anything out of him except cash) so I guess he'll be fine....but I'll be great!

OK, I have to go to the damned DMV today and then I need to take a nap so that I can work all night. I'll be back before I leave for work unless my day goes completely haywire...but I should have a chance to pop in at some point. Have a great day and (as I used to tell my kids when they left for school in the mornings), "Act like you're somebody!"

Meg

5 Comments:

Blogger Determined said...

ooh law school! Go for it girl! Take that LSAT by the horns!

April 24, 2007  
Blogger JQ75 said...

Meg - BALANCE. Come on. You're gonna make me dig up my trauma pics.

Ambition is fine. Don't go overboard. Take care of yourself too. Travel is a nice goal. Working two careers? Law? What the hell are you thinking? LOL.

Come on Meg, don't waste your enchanting smile on burning the candle on both ends. Have some fun too. All work and no play... You know what they say. And you, my dear, are anything but dull.

April 24, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I wouldn't work two careers, I'd work one and go to school to begin another. There's a growing demand for nurses in the legal profession...I'm not sure why, but I have a few friends who are nurse attorneys. And remember, the more cash you make, the easier your job is!

Meg

April 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure. If you have the morals and ethics of a snake, a well-funded PAC and/or a bunch of "Homies" armed with Uzis, Klashs and the occasional RPG complete with launcher.
(Meg, honey this is gettin' scarier by the minute. And this is only '07!)
TW

May 15, 2012  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Welcome to my world.

May 15, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home