.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

After years of avoiding the lure…

…of the emails tempting me to get in touch with my youth at Classmates.com….I finally made the commitment, at least 3 months or so of a commitment. I’ve been browsing the names of the people that went to my high school during the same years that I went. I’ve been running across names that I hadn’t thought of in years.

The most amusing name was Chuck B. He went to my youth group on Sunday evenings and was even priming to become a youth “leader”. I guess that means he was in charge when we played Fruit Basket Upset. He sort of lost credibility with me when he came up with the Soda Soup Slurp Slop. We all brought a can each of our favorite soups and sodas. We mixed all the many kinds of soups in a big pot and put all the different sodas in a beverage dispenser of some sort. I suppose the guys enjoyed it…but we ladies were not too impressed with the Slop.

Anyway, Chuck eventually became a cop in the tiny suburb of Chicago that I grew up in. One day he was transporting a felon in his cruiser. He made one seemingly minor mistake…he locked the keys in the car with the crook. The guy had enough time to take off in Chuck’s car…or I should I say the Village’s car. I don’t think he lasted much longer as a cop. At least not up north.

One guy who lives in the Atlanta area was in my senior year chemistry class. I was the only girl in class and I was having so much fun flirting that I wasn't even pretending to do my work. I didn’t care because I had more than enough credits to graduate, I just had to complete my fourth year of English, Phys Ed and all graduates had to take senior year Social Science survey. So, I only had to go for 3 hours a day. My father found it unacceptable that I should have such a short school day, even though I preferred to have a job. So, I had to sign up for time killers and Chemistry was one of them.

Amongst all the flirting that I did, there were two guys that I hung out with in class, Pfess and Hess. Those are the first syllables of each of their last names. We had a LOT of fun. We exasperated our teacher…Mr. Walkwitz. He was a typical nerdy Chem teacher. He didn’t have the eyeball of a llama on his desk as did Mr. Doane…but he was certainly a freaky teacher. Of course, without the eyeball, he didn’t evoke as much fear as did Mr. Doane…and his amazing resemblance to Ed Grimley didn’t earn him any esteem amongst we rabble-rousers, that’s for sure.

Mr. Doane was a hoot himself. Ever the scientist, he used acute common sense all around the classroom (and I supect his home as well). He put masking tape in stripes an inch apart on the glass window in the classroom door so that if a tornado came through, the glass wouldn’t shatter. He also taped tin foil to the roll out windows so that he could judge the wind speed. I suppose looking at the trees wasn’t good enough for him…what would happen if the trees all ran away?

It could happen.

Well, I have to finsh the purple bedroom today. And...I have to call to see if my bed will be here soon!


I'll check you out again in a while!

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home