.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Good morning!

I'm home and wide awake since I've been drinking coffee all night long. I drink it until it works and that's usually at about 5 AM. For some reason, no matter how much sleep you've gotten...your body just wants to lie down at 4 AM. I've fallen asleep standing up as well as sitting. I wouldn't have thought it possible if I hadn't done it myself. I woke right up...but I was definitely asleep for a minute or two. But if I keep drinking coffee, I'll perk up by 5...or just in time to go home and go to bed.

It was a quiet night at work...I actually got out at 7:10 and any nurse will tell you that's pretty good...and hard to do. I've done it when I've HAD to leave at 7 but I had to run around all night to do it. I didn't have any problems at ALL last night. Not one patient required anything between 11 and 5. At 5 there was one guy with whom I had to work for about 15 or 20 minutes...but other than that and some blood that I had to draw, I was just sitting there doing paperwork.

I even had time to help a co-worker from Africa with her English homework. Actually, I did it for her. I explained it all to her but they weren't really excercises that you can "help" with...whatever you do to explain will give the answer away. She had to choose whether or not lines of words were sentences or sentence fragments. That wasn't too tough. It was pretty stupid, I thought. But what do I know.

The last night that I worked with her she annoyed the hell out of me using the race thing...and it was just so uncalled for. The other nurse read a sign about a Baby Shower that the Therapy Department was having for one of their physical therapists. That's all it took. That woman went into a huge thing about how no one was throwing the pregnant black chick a party. I looked at the sign and said, "Someone in her own department is having the party, not the hospital. You're in the nursing department...why don't you throw one for her?"

She went on like a nut for so long that I finally said, "You know, at some point this is going to get racist towards ME and I think we're there already...can't we just be friends and get back to work?" She started on another rant. It began, "NO! We can't be friends, society......" Blah, blah, blah, blah. Then I said, "OK then, can we be civil co-workers and get back to work?" That one did it, she agreed and she finally shut the hell up.

When she needed help with her homework we sure were friendly enough. Tonight she shut the heck up. She pretty much had to...neither the other nurse nor I would contribute to that conversation and she had to know that. The only other black person there was an older woman and she's smarter than to act like that at work.

The last time the nutty chick acted like that there was a really sweet nurse working with me...she agrees with everyone just to avoid trouble. She's sweet almost to a fault. She would have sat there and empathized with the African chick...just to be agreeable. I would have asked her why she came to America in the first place if it was so bad. As a matter of fact, the next time she starts that crap...that's exactly what I'll do. Now I almost can't wait. That'll shut her the hell up.

I bet a nice lawsuit would do it as well but I'm not quite sure who to sue.

Oh well, I have to eat my fruit cup and then go to sleep. I'll pop back in before I leave tonight...have a good one!

Meg

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks. As an African American I think that woman's none too bright. #1 that's not a conversation that I'd ever enter into with someone who's not African American. You were right the people at work were throwing the party not the hospital so it's not like there was this effort to exclude Blacks. You notice that your friend didn't say "O.K. I'll throw her a party."

As a Black person, I can honestly say that some issues can only be felt or sympathized by Blacks. I was adopted into an interracial family and my adoptive mother's White family does things that are so hurtful. First off my mother's side of the family isn't "close" I NEVER see them...yet my aunt saw fit to invite my adoptive brother who is my mother's biological son & of mixed race yet looks white to her anniversary party IN FRONT OF ME...or behind my back at my mother's retirement party. I know it's confusing. I heard her say "don't forget about Saturday" I didn't ask what's Saturday. Later I saw the photos of my brother & mother at her party. My mother didn't stand up for me to her sister and say "it's not right that you didn't invite X." See in cases like this I'm SOOOOOOO against interracial adoption.

If you can't take a child into your home and stand up for your child against your racist family then please don't bother to adopt a child of a different race. I know I'm off on a tangent but it illustrates a point how Black & White people may see a situation differently. I've never had one conversation with my aunt...I never see her and my brother has seen her more than I have.

July 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home