.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

I'm getting nervous here...

...I just watched the Cubs kick ass and I've always told my kids that the Cubs will win the Series the October following my death. They're a half game out of first place and with the season winding down a bit...they're looking pretty damned good. I told the kids that when I croak, they should immediately bet on the Cubs to win it all because I wouldn't have the luck to live to see them win it myself.

I’ve loved baseball since I was a kid and when I was about 10, I discovered that if I went to Wrigley Field and waited long enough, I could sneak in one of the service entrances along side a truck. When the security guy flipped the switch and the gates started to open, I would get along the opposite side of the truck and sneak my little self in. If I made it to the dug outs, I was home free. Nobody bothered a little girl sitting on the dug outs, they assumed that I must be with one of the players. I met so many Cubs back then, Bill Madlock, Don Kessinger, Ron Santo, Ernie Banks...I could go on and on. I told them that my Dad was a peanut man and they never bothered me at all. To the contrary, they were all very nice. I never did get to meet my first baseball crush, Cubs first baseman, Pete LaCock, son of Hollywood Squares announcer, Peter Marshall.

It never occurred to me until it happened, but one day I found out that the visiting team sometimes practices at Wrigley Field, too. I went down to the first base dug out and spoke to Tug McGraw, Ollie Brown and Larry Bowa. They gave me a ball and they all signed it and had some other Phillie’s sign it as well. That was so cool. I went to the game the next day.

The Cubs blew a 14-2 lead and lost the game 15-16. It was a-fricking-mazing. I went to Wrigley a couple of years ago when I visited my daughter. I love to see them at home...although there certainly are more than a few Cubs fans here in Atlanta. I’ve seen the Cubs play all over the country but I’ve never seen so many Cub fans outside of Wrigley Field as they have here in Atlanta.

I try not to get too bold in my cheering efforts here...it can come back to bite you. The Cubs can come from behind like nobody I’ve ever seen but they are better at blowing massive leads and leaving men on base than any team in baseball history.

Oh well, I am one of those Cub fans...the best fans in baseball. And I've never been sorry to be one because as we always say, there's always next year. I just hope that I get to see next year. If not...I hope that my kids win a bundle on them this year.

Gotta run, work beckons.

See ya,

Meg

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all. I know its been a while since I posted a comment here, but things have been rather hectic over the last several months. The Cubs are the best team in all of baseball. Those of us that aren't from Chicago, but are none-the-less part of Cub Nation want more than anything to see them take the whole enchilada, but at the cost of a life? I, personally, think not. Meg, have faith, for as there is always next season, this season is the season. Lou has the boys in fine form. We will all be around in October to celebrate the end of the Billy Goat!

August 18, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Radio Dude,

I would easily give my life to see those suckers take the Series...wouldn't you? I'd love to go down in Chicago history as Meg...Martyr of the Cubs. It sounds a helluva lot better than Mrs. O'Leary, the lady who burnt the town down.

:):):)

August 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home