.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Now I'm back at square one...

...and I'm not happy about that. I don't remember a more useless group of presidential candidates in my life. Usually they take office before we find out what lying assholes they are.

I didn't want to vote for McCain because he is too far off base on some of the issues most important to me. I won't vote for Hillary because I cannot abide a liar and she hails from the biggest family of liars that this country has to offer ever since the Kennedy's held power. That left me with Obama.

I didn't care that he was partially black, race doesn't bother me and besides...he's just as white as he is black. I didn't mind that he was married to a bit of a nut...as long as she doesn't run for senate, I don't mind a goofy first lady. I didn't even mind that he was inexperienced. No one has experience when they're sworn in as president...we just vote for the candidate with the best judgement and leadership skills and hope for the best.

But that man has lost my vote and perhaps the entire nomination because he seems to lack judgement and leadership skills, based on his reaction to the hate speech spewed by his very own preacher dude.

Obama has put out a statement here or there saying that he "wasn't there that day". That ranks up there with "The dog ate my homework" and "She's just a friend, honey...I swear!"

It's bad enough that the preacher was spewing bombastic magniloquence that is absolutely race baiting...but when he accused America of giving Black America the HIV virus...he entered the ranks of loony conspiracy theorists the likes of whom believe in Elvis sightings, Bigfoot, and UFO's.

Even Bono doesn't believe that bizarre and contemptible balderdash. As a matter of fact he says, "If we can turn the president's bold long term vision into near term results we're excited...The president's emphasis upon anti-retroviral treatment represents a true paradigm shift and is to be wholly welcomed...".

I have never met one single American who wasn't full of compassion for people infected with the HIV virus. I am an American and I've just been accused of purposely spreading the AIDS virus to the black community. That makes me a bit angry.

I waited to hear what Obama had to say. I was expecting something like this:

"I denounce everything that Reverend Wright has said...America did NOT infect the black community with AIDS and I do NOT support what he said. I apologize to the country for the abhorrent comments made by Reverend Wright and for any pain caused by them. This is not a theological debate over whether Mary was a virgin or just a very nice girl...this is an issue with a right or wrong and Reverend Wright was absolutely WRONG...it never happened. Reverend Wright should apologize to all of America for his reprehensible comments that are nothing short of hate speech...pure and simple. The loathsome comments are beyond deplorable and those who espouse them rank up there with Muslim extremists and their heinous hyperbole. Until the Reverend retracts his statements I will not be attending services anywhere that he may be preaching and I implore the fist pumping fools behind the preacher to find a real church to attend on Sundays."

Instead, I was lied to.

Now I'm waiting for Billary to take back the invitation they offered to Obama last week suggesting that he would make a great VP. Hell, the Clintons aren't stupid enough to put a man with such weak leadership skills on a ballot with their name on it.

The talking heads are discussing the lack of judgement shown by Obama but no one has mentioned the biggest issue of all, leadership. What kind of leader is afraid to call a spade a spade? It appears as though Obama is afraid to hurt Wrong Way Wright's itty bitty feelings. How in the world can we expect him to protect us from Muslim extremists if he can't protect us from his own "uncle"?

Unfortunately, most politicians today are afraid to tell us what they really think and that's why I have no candidate this year.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sen. Obama, while he is campaigning for the job of leader of the free world, has shown that he is long on campaigning and short on leadership. While he has expressed disagreement with his pastor's hate speech, he has yet to say that the pastor is wrong. A true leader would tell you the truth and let the votes fall where they may. A true politician will tap dance around the issue trying not to offend anyone.
What was the first thing you noticed if you watched Obama's speech? I noticed that he had so many American flags on the stage that he barely had room for the microphone. Isn't this the same man who said that will not wear an American flag in his lapel? He probably thinks that having the flags was a necessary sacrifice.
How about his comparing his white grandmother to the hate-spewing minister? That took courage. While his campaign advisers told him to distance himself from the preacher, who told him to throw grandma from the train while he was at it?
At least Clinton had the courage to lie to you and not hide behind his grandmother.

March 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh please Meg, spare us the righteous indignation. The incredibly harsh judgement people are leveling against Obama, based on something someone else said, is amazing. To say he lacks leadership because he didn't run right over and execute Rev. Wright, is intellectually dishonest, just like the lemming-like harping, by some, of the term "hate speech." I'm seeing people, over the past couple of days, judging Sen. Obama, and in some aspects, Rev. Wright, by a criteria they would never dare apply to themselves. The sum of his life dismissed with 30 second soundbites, some forget that Rev. Wright, through his service to the nation, was ready to defend her with his life, in the hopes that she'll live up to her potential. He's certainly done more to earn a right to express an opinion, even if incorrect at times, of what he thinks America is doing right or wrong, than some of his fiercest critics...who've done exactly nothing to defend this nation, besides putting a little American flag ribbon decal on their car, and have only served themselves...Ironically enough, they enjoy the privilege due to the service of him, and other men and women that served and continue to serve.

The harsher the reaction by some, the more likely they haven't given any critical thought to what Rev. Wright has to say...it's easier to just come up with a zippy little nicknames, and base our decisions on a 30 second soundbite, than trying to figure out, how a man saying, in essence, that he doesn't want to be called a "nigger", is considered hate speech. From the vehemence of some reactions, I think this only gives some an excuse to do what they probably secretly wanted to do anyway, but were afraid of being seen as not "PC" enough.

I'm more afraid of Americans who won't think critically, or look beyond the surface of any issue, than Extremist Muslims or Rev. Wright, because they're doing far more damage to this nation than any terrorist ever could.

From reading your blog, I'm surprised at how critical you are...but it would be foolish to the point of insanity to judge you based on only a small glimpse into your life, right?

March 18, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Knock yourself out. I never claimed perfection nor am I running for public office. Wright can say whatever he wants to...this is America and you're right, he did serve her and I give him his due respect for that.

Your comment "I'm seeing people, over the past couple of days, judging Sen. Obama, and in some aspects, Rev. Wright, by a criteria they would never dare apply to themselves" was a good one...I think that we can now, finally say the same thing back to those who have been accusing whites of racism for decades now.

I didn't think anyone could be as divisive as the Clintons...I was wrong.

See you at today's post.

March 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon,

I am getting a bit sick of seeing the race card being played as the all-purpose response.
Wake up.
My comments were not directed at Pastor Wright's racism. We are used to that. But when someone gets involved in the electoral process and gains attention with a string of anti-American comments, I feel that Americans should and must respond.
Wright's screed was directed at all of us. It is our government that he was trashing. Of course, we are allowed freedom of speech to make such comments, but when you do, you must be prepared to be corrected by intelligent people and you must be prepared lest the correction be as harsh as your criticism. This is especially true when your criticism is as bogus as the original screed.
Pastor Wright's criticism of the US was lunatic-fringe bogus. His humping of the pulpit was an insult to every decent person in the congregation. These are the words and actions that must be understood and rejected by every decent American. Rejected not because of some deep-seated racism, but rejected because of the simple principle of "right and wrong".
In this case, Pastor Wright was wrong. And, his wrongness should be as offensive to right-thinking blacks as it might be to the dumbest cracker in Georgia.
Reading the post by Anon, my worst fears appeared to be realized: fear of offending someone is now more important than telling the truth.
Not here my friend, not here.

March 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home