.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, March 21, 2008

YIKES!

My father let me oversleep and then he told me to get the laundry together so that we can go and do it while Jean's at dialysis. Of course I said that I had something to do on the puter and this is it. So, here I am!

Now what? Um...OK then. I didn't have a plan, I just came here. So, let's see if I can just start writing and end up with a post. Damn, I didn't suck enough coffee for this.

OK then, I'll tell you this...I wanted to go out last night but I ended up being too tired to do so. But that's OK, it's Friday now and I was thinking that yesterday was Friday. It didn't help that I was on the phone with someone who told me that yesterday was Friday. Of course, it was after midnight and perhaps she was right, but I don't consider it Friday at 1 AM unless I've slept. 1 AM on Thursday night is still Thursday to me. For all intents and purpose, it really is, isn't it?

That laptop that my father gave me needs 2 batteries. I went to BestBuy.com and found one for $150 bucks. So, unless I want to pay $300 bucks and hope that the batteries ARE the problem, I don't really have a laptop, do I?

Rick told me that one of the problems (The picture sometimes becomes smaller than the screen.) was caused by some sort of power problem. I would buy the batteries if I wasn't afraid that it would be something else. In my mind, I'm comparing the potential problem to something like an alternator in a car. You know, you think it's the battery and then it ends up being the alternator instead. I don't know how these things work but I'll figure it out eventually.

What I need is someone HERE who knows about such things. I need to call a friend of mine here who may know someone (Girl, I'm trying to find a chance to call you...I'm just so unbelievable tapped for time) who can help me out with this stuff.

Damn it...my father is speaking to me in his mean daddy voice that still takes me aback. I guess I have to go wash their laundry. That was NOT in our deal, by the way. NO one mentioned being the laundry lady when I came down here. Oh well, I'll do it.

I miss my house and my washer and dryer!!! I HATE laundromats. This one is particularly nasty and dirty but it's "cheap" according to my father who isn't exactly ready to part with a few quarters easily himself.

I want to go home. When I get a chance today, I'll install the camera and make a video. And then, I want to see if I can talk my father into either taking me to the beach this weekend or letting me drive there myself. He has a really, really good digital camera but it has so many stupid buttons and functions on it that I can't figure it out...but I will!

Sorry to be so quick and boring today...I'll make it up to you when I get the chance later on!

Meggers

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't wash.
Your old white grandmother being afraid of black men who pass her on the street is not the moral equivalent of your pastor saying that black people should pray that God will damn America.

Your claim that you cringed when your white grandmother bought into racial stereotypes does not excuse you for spending your entire adult life in the pews of a man who claims that white people in the United States government invented AIDS to genocide black people.
And the fact that your genealogy is racially diverse doesn't change the fact that since you got out of college you have chosen to worship at a church which preaches black nationalism. Your family history is racially diverse, but your life choices are not.
You were in the congregation, Barack, and that wasn't an accident. It wasn't a few sporadic insane rants, it was a fundamental philosophy. I've seen your church's website, I've heard your pastor preach.
And we've heard how the congregation reacted.

Because while you now when it is politically essential to do so disavow your closest spiritual advisor, it is clear from the videotape of him at the pulpit that the rest of the congregation heartily agreed with his most outlandish statements. His worst rantings were not greeted by embarrassed silence, they were met by rousing cheers.
How likely is it, Senator Obama, that you would have freely spent 20 years of your life in a church whose pastor and congregation were in fundamental disagreement with you?
It is not likely at all.
Your claim that you didn't hear your pastor's views on the United States is not credible. While you were a member of his church a church you selected after a search of several there were 20 Fourth of Julys, 20 Flag Days, 20 Memorial Days and 20 Veterans Days. It is inconceivable that your pastor's open contempt for the United States was not discernible to you on any of those 80 days of American patriotism.

If John McCain had been in the congregation, he would have walked up and punched the man. If Hillary Clinton had been in the congregation, she would have walked out. Barack Obama was in the congregation and he stayed for 20 years.
To claim that this man is a part of your family, but that you weren't aware of his most passionate political and racial views, is not believable. Seriously, is it your claim, Barack, that this man your intimate friend and close spiritual advisor never mentioned his political views to you as you became first an Illinois senator and then a United States senator?
He advised his congregants to write and call their representatives, but he didn't ever talk politics with the politician in his congregation?
How is that believable?
And how is it that a white politician is damned for a single visit to Jerry Falwell or Bob Jones but you are to go unquestioned for some 1,000 visits to a church whose leaders' racial views are far more strident?
And do you really expect anybody to believe that this black racial anger that you speak of is a phenomenon of just the older generation? Is it really your assertion, Barack, that that anger or, to be more accurate, racism is found only in African-Americans the age of your pastor? Do you think that's a credible claim?
And do you think that these barbershop and dinner-table conversations you say blacks have, the ones in which they express racial anger against whites, do you really think they are morally excusable or justified? Don't you think instead of explaining and condoning such attitudes that you should challenge and condemn them?
And if your grandmother's supposed racial stereotypes made you wince, what do these barbershop and dinner-table racial stereotypes make you do? If racism is damaging to the people who have it in their hearts, why don't you save the folks having these barbershop conversations from the moral damage of their own prejudice and bigotry?

I believe your grandparents were very proud of you. They raised you right.

Why didn't you challenge the attitudes of the people you go to church with? For 20 years you were up to your eyeteeth in black separatism and black anger, and instead of challenging those attitudes, you either silently assented to them or went along with them. With that background, how do you honestly think you could be entrusted to bridge America's racial divide?

It seems like you've spent your adult life as a partisan on one side of the racial divide. Why should anybody on the other side, or anybody who doesn't share your view that racial division is our most pressing national concern, think you could be fair or objective?
Because it's clear you don't understand how white people feel or act.
In your remarks yesterday, just before you tried to unite whites and blacks in your Marxist hatred of corporations and rich people, you claimed that white people, when they get together, express racial anger against black people.
You're wrong.

White people mostly don't see the great divide your pastor has based his ministry on. White people, when they are at the barbershop or dining-room table, usually talk about their families or sports or what they saw on TV or what their plans are for the weekend. While black people might be bubbling over with racial anger at white people, white people usually have something more interesting to talk about.
Most people don't raise their children to be prejudice.
And I'm sorry that there is such a clear double standard in American society and politics. Racism among blacks is fine and racism among whites is condemned. No amount of racism among whites is tolerable and any amount of racism among blacks seems just fine. Called on it, the ridiculous argument is made that blacks cannot be racist because they don't control the institutions of power, or some such nonsense. That is simply preposterous.
While Barack Obama calls for bridging the racial divide, his own campaign benefits by it, and the double standard that underpins it.
Barack Obama is, for example, the black candidate-- if you are black. But if you are white, and you say that he is the black candidate,you are a racist. Just ask Geraldine Ferraro. Black supporters clearly and constantly support him on the basis of race, but if anyone who's not black points that out, they're a racist.
How does that make any sense?
The great challenge Barack Obama had yesterday was to keep the support of those who agree with his pastor while trying to get the support of those who don't.
The simple fact is that the views of his pastor have a significant following among American blacks. The pastor didn't build a national following among blacks by preaching about the Sermon on the Mount. What the pastor says resonates with a great many black people.
And those black people have been Barack Obama's margin of victory time and time again. When you're drawing 90 to 95 percent of the black vote in a Democratic primary, you know who you owe your success to.
Barack Obama's career and political success are based on a black-centered approach to life. That is his right. But to now claim some race-straddling position, bridging the gap between whites and blacks as a neutral mediator, is just not believable. And neither does it reflect the fact that though blacks are America's longest-standing minority community, they are not its largest. There are blacks and whites and Latinos and Asians in this country, and Indians and Middle Easterners and Pacific Islanders. And somebody worthy of being president would hold them all to the same standard and extend to them all the same respect and support.
And he would call them all the same thing.
Americans.
The problems with race in this country come from people forgetting that they are first and foremost Americans, with a bond of citizenship and brotherhood to all other Americans.
A president should teach that this is the greatest country on Earth and that its citizens are created equal and that this nation is indivisible.
And so should that president's pastor.
You should not have stayed 20 years in a church like that!

March 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home