.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

When I wake up in the morning...

...I shower and get dressed which includes putting my shoes and socks on. I always have. Growing up in Chicago, we had to take our shoes off when we came in the house because they were full of snow and mud, but other than that, I keep my shoes on all day unless I kick back on the couch to watch TV. I take them off when I get my jammies on and repeat the whole thing in the morning. I don't really feel dressed without shoes on and Lord knows what I could step in so I'm rather uncomfortable without shoes.

It seems that other people take their shoes off as soon as they enter the house, afraid to get shoe bottom on the floors. So, shoes are not allowed two feet beyond the threshold. It takes a while to break a 50 year old habit but I'm getting there.

My question to you is this, which one are you, a shoe off person or a shoe on person? If you're a shoe off person, how do you get people to remove their shoes at the door? If a salesman or Jehovah's Witnesses should come in (I know, you wouldn't let them in but play along), how would you handle that? Would you make the visitor undress his or her feet or would you simply let it go for a minute? I'm serious, this is actually causing quite a stir and Dear Abby herself would have a tough time with this so, although it may not be as important as which way the toilet paper should be put on the roll, it is an issue I'm curious about.

PLEASE...leave your answer in the comments.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Meg
This is what I do. When I get up in the morning I put my slippers on for comfort and don’t put shoes on until I am going out. When I visit someone’s home I always wipe my shoes on the door mat and expect others to do the same when they visit me. It irritates me when they don’t but I wouldn’t comment on it. If anyone arrives with muddy or snow covered shoes/boots, especially in winter, I would expect them to remove them as I would in their home. I do know some people who expect everyone to remove their shoes and although I’m not totally comfortable sitting in my stocking feet, I always respect their wishes.

I know an old lady who asked a fireman to remove his boots at her door. She was living in sheltered housing and he was just checking her flat after an alarm call from the building. He said to her “Listen love, if I took my boots off at every call-out people would be burning to death” She wasn’t happy... :)

October 23, 2013  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

That totally makes sense. And really, good sense is all I seek. If I had slippers, I'd wear them. I think the point is that a friendly reminder would be perfect. It works as well as someone freaking out over a clean shoe touching a carpet. Silly how things like this can cause a problem. I think too many people feel better about themselves if they can point down at others for any silly little thing they can find. BTW, if you look for bad shit, you'll find it. If you look for good shit, you find that. I try to find the good stuff but I'm always distracted by someone searching for bad things.

October 23, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home