.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Damn it...

...I heard on television somewhere that it costs more than a penny to make a penny. Then, I told that to my daughter. This morning, I went online to see exactly how much it costs to make a penny and everywhere I look, it says .81 cent. So, now I've lied to my daughter and this is just the type of thing that she would tell other people before I could tell her that I was wrong. So, now she's gonna think that this is like the time that I told her that marshmallows come from marshmallow trees.

This is just the type of BS that I would make up but this time, I didn't make it up. I swear, I heard it somewhere. And when I told her, she decided that it was her civic duty to take all of her pennies to the bank to exchange them for cash. Oh well. Maybe it won't ever come up again and I won't have to explain myself. Besides, it probably will cost more than a penny to make one soon enough if it doesn't already. And...of course, I did discover the mallow tree that grows in marshes so I wasn't completely wrong about the marshmallows anyway.

I have to take a bath this morning and I'm looking forward to that. I just wish that my tub was bigger. The regular bathtubs are rather confining. I can float on my back but I can't really go anywhere. I do have to go down to Florida immediately so maybe I'll take a trip out to Clearwater Beach while I'm there. That should be big enough. I love the ocean...I guess it's actually the gulf there...in the gulf you can go out quite far before you have to worry about the current taking you away. Of course, the sharks are out there too...but I'm counting on numbers to keep me safe. If I can't win the lottery, I should be safe in a gulf full of other people.

My father took in his ex wife about a year or so ago so that she didn't have to go to a nursing home. She's begun falling and is getting more and more confused so he has to put her in a nursing home now and he needs my help to find one and get her settled in it. I told the probation officer that I might have to go to Florida at the drop of a hat and this is it...I have to go now.

He basically made me offer to come down there...he never just came out and asked for my help. I don't understand that. I set up my life so that I could run to Florida if I needed to and he pussy-foots around calling and asking me questions instead of just asking me to come down there. He wasn't like that when I was a little girl. He always let his wishes be known.

Anyway, he asked if I could get down there and I told him that I could. Then I said, "All I have to do is say that I'm taking the alimony and flying to Florida by myself and that would be all it would take for my boyfriend to offer to drive me down there."

He responded, "You're all alike."

He's a funny daddy.

Once, (around 1963) when he was yelling at me, he said, "And those big brown eyes of yours aren't going to work on me this time!"

I didn't even know that they HAD been working in the first place. So, that's where it started. Then, I got tits. Things just spiraled from then.

Women all have their own version of the "kevorka" but we don't always realize it. I had the kevorka back when I was a little girl and didn't even know it. When my kevorka was at it's pinnacle, I married Rick.

That was so incredibly stupid. If I had any IDEA of how strong my kevorka was THEN, I would have never married a man like Rick. If I had any notion of my kevorka's true power, he wouldn't have ever gotten that close to me. That's the problem with most women, we underestimate our own kevorka.

Oh well. Now I have to bathe in a "tepid pool of my own filth" for a while. But that's OK, I'll hose down after I'm done. Then, I'll have to clean the heck out of my house, call the probation officer and my son to see if she'll let me go and if he'll feed my animals. I still have to go to the doctor's appointment and get my prescriptions filled so that I can leave with plenty of medicine. I'll probably leave first thing tomorrow morning, after rush hour, that is. Anyway, I'll certainly be back a few times before I leave one way or another.

See ya,

Meg

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Meg you got the penny wrong, quote:The cost of producing the coin has risen from 0.97 cent per penny in 2005 to 1.4 cent per penny. At that rate, the Mint would spend some $44 million producing ...
Buddy

July 18, 2006  
Blogger Jay said...

Partly true. Pennys used to be solid copper. Sometime in the 1970's or 1980's the value of the copper started to exceed one cent. It would have become profitable for people to melt down pennies and sell the copper.

The Mint changed then the composition so that pennies are now made of a copper clad zinc core. I don't know if it costs more or less than one cent to make them; the important thing is that nobody would make a profit melting them down anymore.

Jay- Font of useless information.

July 18, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

AH! Yes...that WOULD be the point...wouldn't it? I don't have a mind that would think like that so I didn't even see that angle, I was thinking that if they cost so much you could horde them and sell them but I never thought that one all the way through.

Thanks Jay...you can be my partner on Jeopardy any time.

Meg

July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In reference to Emily's billboard...The same billboard is up in L.A. on Sunset Blvd. Wonder why our girl Emily doesn't mention that on her blog?

July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'cause the whole thing is a set up.

July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 18, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 18, 2006  
Blogger Enyo said...

Have you guys sorted out what a 'penny' is worth (or costs to make)? I only ask 'cos I have a small bunch of them here that have made their way into my change over the years [and I'm always willing to ship them if the price is right, lol).

They (and Canadian 1c pieces) are very similar in colour and shape to the local 1p piece.

I also have a few quarters and dimes that have been passed off to our business as 10p and 5p pieces respectively through the years. .

July 18, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Yeah, the guy who said 1.4 cents was probably right. That's the price that I heard on TV. So, unless anyone else tells me differently, I'm going with 1.4. At least I can show my daughter where I SAW it!

meg

July 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home